mortgage renewal advice

I am coming to the end of my 2yr fixed deal, my house is worth £220k and i have £50k left on my mortgage but i want to pay a lump sum of 15k, i have 17 yrs left on my mortgage.
I have been advised to go on a 2yr tracker mortgage and pay as much off as i wish, eg £15k, what would you advise as having 17yrs seems a long time,

Replies

• edited 29 January 2021 at 11:12PM
    ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 29 January 2021 at 11:12PM
    By overpaying with a lump sum £15k your monthly commitment will naturally fall. There's nothing to stop you then overpaying the mortgage (by whatever you can afford) every month. The term remaining will then naturally shorten. Alternatively ask the lender to shorten the mortgage term. 
  • K_SK_S Forumite, Ambassador
    6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Photogenic
    Ambassador
    @hoverbo You could just overpay and achieve the same effect as reducing the term.
    https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2014/10/dont-shorten-your-mortgage-term-if-you-can-overpay/

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'Mortgages & Endowments', 'House Buying, Renting & Selling' and 'Mortgage-free Wannabe' boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.

Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

• dimbo61dimbo61 Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The beauty of a tracker deal is the ability to overpay as much as you like.
    It's only a 2 year deal and then you might end up on the SVR while having a small balance so not worth moving lenders !
    In uncertain times having a good emergency savings pot is a very good idea just in case.
    Does your lender offer Offset mortgages ?
    Well done on reducing your mortgage debt and if you can clear the mortgage as soon as possible then being mortgage free is a good feeling.