IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Car worth saving?

edited 29 January 2021 at 10:46AM in Motoring
3 replies 211 views
FlatulentoldgoatFlatulentoldgoat Forumite
304 Posts
100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 29 January 2021 at 10:46AM in Motoring
Renault Clio III 2006 DCI (1.5 K9K) TD
Electric issues galore. Blown blower (needs replacement) head lights not working (had switch issues in the past) wipers have been problematic in the past (wiring loom repaired) original clutch (100k) and engages just at the tip of releasing the pedal so I'm assuming it's on its way out soon. Body work poor/marginal. MoT just expired.
Nice car to drive though for the less self-conscious and the VED is a bargain.
Repair of scrap man? Not buying the car, already own it but it's sat.

01,948 miles

MOT test number 4870 6090 7218

Test location

View test location

Expiry date 21 January 2021

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Rear Child Seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt ()
  • both front brake discs wearing thin
  • front brake pads low approx 2mm left?
  • Offside Rear coil spring corroding
  • Offside Front tyre has cut to outer wall
  • Offside Rear Road wheel slightly distorted (5.2.2 (c) (i))

Replies

• AJRBADGERAJRBADGER Forumite
    36 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The car isn't worth much, and Clio's are pretty prone to electrical niggles.
    To be honest it is probably at the point where unless you are good at amateur mechanics it probably isn't worth a repair but...... at the same time, you could be buying problems with the next car you buy (assuming that is of similar ilk, ie 10yrs old and a runabout).

Looking at it from an amateur perspective, and fortunate that I'm an amateur with access to ramps and hoists - that would be a day or two's labour to get that back working - and probably about £300 in parts.
    Working with a years MOT the car is probably worth £750-1250 depending on condition. 

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Expiry date 21 January 2021

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Rear Child Seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt ()
    • both front brake discs wearing thin
    • front brake pads low approx 2mm left?
    • Offside Rear coil spring corroding
    • Offside Front tyre has cut to outer wall
    • Offside Rear Road wheel slightly distorted (5.2.2 (c) (i))
    That list is from a year ago. It includes routine consumables - brakes - which are just about at the end of their service life, and a tyre which is damaged. I presume you've done those...?
    The slightly bent wheel and slightly rusty spring aren't particularly issues.

So we're talking about a car without working headlights, and without a working heater blower (which is a major hazard in winter weather, simply because you can't demist the screen.
    A new headlight switch is £25. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223195469510
    A used heater fan is £25. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303863878979
    (Does it work on top speed? If so, it's the resistor pack, not the fan - even cheaper)
    The test fee is £50.

It's worth three shiny buttons. But what sort of a car will £100 buy you...?
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Given it's also being used to carry a child in it, with electrical gremlins galore, no working lights or heating, it's probably not worth it.
    You could fix the MOT stuff pretty cheaply by buying a new wheel/tyre, spring and brake discs, but it's the other stuff that's going to be problematic.

So it's the gamble that you can fix it up or for the same money buy something else that may or may not have problems.

If it was me, I'd stick it up on eBay with all the problems listed. Someone will probably buy it for parts or have a go at fixing it.