Fuel price rises

in Motoring
28 replies 1K views
203846930203846930 Forumite
4.7K Posts
1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
Has anyone else noticed that fuel prices are creeping up at 1 or 2p a week?

We walk past a station a couple of times a week and the price of diesel has gone up 10p at least in the last 4 weeks since the start of the year.
This is going to have a knock-on effect with all the prices in the shops as everything still travels on the back of a diesel engine.

Replies

• TomokoAdhamiTomokoAdhami Forumite
    148 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Probably, retailers overcharging drivers by 2p-a-litre and calling it 'lockdown bonus'. Or maybe they want drivers to switch to electric vehicles. 
  • Penguin_Penguin_ Forumite
    708 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Consumption is down so prices go up a bit to cover this.
  • edited 29 January at 8:36AM
    Flight3287462Flight3287462 Forumite
    564 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 29 January at 8:36AM
    Probably, retailers overcharging drivers by 2p-a-litre 
    Why would you call it overcharging?  The filling station needs to make money and if sales are down ~50% then they will need to charge more to break even and make their margin.  Just basic economics.

Plus the price of oil is up just under $10 in the same period.
  • scrappy_returnsscrappy_returns Forumite
    161 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Fuel prices are still below what they were before lockdown. Simply supply and demand.
  • Car_54Car_54 Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would you call it overcharging?  The filling station needs to make money and if sales are down ~50% then they will need to charge more to break even and make their margin.  Just basic economics.

Don't basic economics say that if demand is down prices go down, to stimulate sales?
  • 203846930203846930 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    the price of oil is up just under $10 in the same period.

If that were the criteria for the price at the pump changing then the same would happen if the price of oil fell but that never happens.
  • glennevisglennevis Forumite
    502 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    When I walked past my local filling station this afternoon I was surprised to see petrol was more than diesel. When did that happen?
  • edited 29 January at 10:53PM
    ontheroad1970ontheroad1970 Forumite
    854 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29 January at 10:53PM
    glennevis said:
    When I walked past my local filling station this afternoon I was surprised to see petrol was more than diesel. When did that happen?
    It used to happen all the time.  Albeit a long time ago.
  • edited 30 January at 1:53AM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 January at 1:53AM
    Car_54 said:

Don't basic economics say that if demand is down prices go down, to stimulate sales?
    I don't see that working at present, because if no-one can drive anywhere other than for business or essential shopping, then they're not going to be filling up much, even if prices were to drop. It's not as if you can take it home and stockpile it (at least I hope not).
    Lockdown has massively reduced demand and mileage, as the insurance claim figures show.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • 203846930203846930 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It has been almost a full year since I last filled the tank on my Dacia Logan, fair enough I have only done about 480 miles in that time but still.