Can my employer change the date given of my redundancy

I have a letter from my employer which was given to me once the consultation period had been completed. It states : 
Further to the above meetings (14th Sept - 13th Oct) the selection process has identified your role is likely to be at risk of redundancy on 29th October 2021, although this will be confirmed by means of formal notice nearer the time.
I have now been told via a telephone call that my role will be ending on Good Friday (2nd April) I have nothing in writing and have been invited to a new consultation meeting on the 2nd Feb. 
Questions are:
1 Can they change my redundancy date aftergiving it to me in writing with no mention that the date may change
2 Can they reopen the consultation period. 
Many thanks 

Comments

• avawat20
    avawat20 Posts: 159
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 January 2021 at 9:25PM
    1. Potentially but not as simple as that - firstly you will need to be given an actual notice letter otherwise the date can change. If they have issued noticed and want to do this then they need to agree this with you but if you unreasonably refuse your role back, or an SAE then you potentially forfeit your redundancy payment - https://www.xperthr.co.uk/faq/is-it-possible-for-an-employer-to-withdraw-notice-of-redundancy/56955/.
    2. Nothing to say they can't do this, consultation is more favourable for staff because it's about finding alternatives to redundancies. Not sure what your organisation is like in terms of a strong Union presence or not - might have been requested by or agreed with them for example.
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes they can do both if they want. If the business need has changed they move the date, but they still need to give you the notice required in your contract.
  • avawat20
    avawat20 Posts: 159
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    To add to 1 - will depend if you have been given notice. If not then they can do this. If they have then my previous answer applies.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Is your notice period 2 months? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business