UC & temp moving home with kids

Rolling66Rolling66 Forumite
5 Posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi - I can't find anything regarding this issue but basically I have had to move home to my parents with my children (15)&(4) and apply for a council house after my ex husband decided he wanted to move back to the marital home. I'm claiming UC as a single parent and have applied for a council home (I don't own the marital home). I haven't changed my address to UC yet though as I have been advised a property should be ready soon, but now been told it'll be March. Do I still need to update this change? How will it affect me? Unfortunately I have ran up debts at the old property the last year which I am paying off so to have my UC stopped whilst I'm waiting to be rehomed would be a nightmare. I'm also still in contract with some utility suppliers and I really don't want to damage my credit rating anymore. I do still have to pay to stay here and provide for my children. 
Can anyone advise what to do in this situation? 

Replies

• calcotticalcotti Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should notify them. As you were presumably not receiving help with rent it isn't going to affect your Universal Credit entitlement. However - are you saying you have no financial interest in your former matrimonial home? If you have an interest in it then that is a capital asset which could affect your claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Rolling66Rolling66 Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have no interest in it. It was never mine. All deeds and mortgages are in his name. I mean when he left I was still paying gas, electricity, council tax and slightly fell behind whilst I got my finances sorted. Its my name against them and he'd leave it that way. 
  • Lanzarote1938Lanzarote1938 Forumite
    693 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that as you were married and have a family that you will have some rights in the property. How long were you together?
    5 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    10 years. When it came to buying the property I couldn't get a mortgage so it went solely in his name and the provider had me sign a form to say I had no interest in the property. Never thought this would happen so just never thought to put me on the mortgage! 
    5 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    We are in Scotland so I believe there is no such thing as common law either. I had looked into it when he kept showing up telling me he could move home if he wanted. 
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Signing the mortgage form saying no interest in the property is totally different to having rights after living in it with your husband.

Head over to wikivorce.
    5 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Ohhh I didn't know that. I paid the deposit but it was a "gift" (stitched myself up backwards I know) and I won't lie - having to move back home with 2 kids knowing you really are an inconvenience isn't boding well. Maybe that will soften the blow.