UC & temp moving home with kids

Options
Hi - I can't find anything regarding this issue but basically I have had to move home to my parents with my children (15)&(4) and apply for a council house after my ex husband decided he wanted to move back to the marital home. I'm claiming UC as a single parent and have applied for a council home (I don't own the marital home). I haven't changed my address to UC yet though as I have been advised a property should be ready soon, but now been told it'll be March. Do I still need to update this change? How will it affect me? Unfortunately I have ran up debts at the old property the last year which I am paying off so to have my UC stopped whilst I'm waiting to be rehomed would be a nightmare. I'm also still in contract with some utility suppliers and I really don't want to damage my credit rating anymore. I do still have to pay to stay here and provide for my children. 
Can anyone advise what to do in this situation? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You should notify them. As you were presumably not receiving help with rent it isn't going to affect your Universal Credit entitlement. However - are you saying you have no financial interest in your former matrimonial home? If you have an interest in it then that is a capital asset which could affect your claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Rolling66
    Options
    I have no interest in it. It was never mine. All deeds and mortgages are in his name. I mean when he left I was still paying gas, electricity, council tax and slightly fell behind whilst I got my finances sorted. Its my name against them and he'd leave it that way. 
  • Lanzarote1938
    Options
    I would have thought that as you were married and have a family that you will have some rights in the property. How long were you together?
  • Rolling66
    Options
    10 years. When it came to buying the property I couldn't get a mortgage so it went solely in his name and the provider had me sign a form to say I had no interest in the property. Never thought this would happen so just never thought to put me on the mortgage! 
  • Rolling66
    Options
    We are in Scotland so I believe there is no such thing as common law either. I had looked into it when he kept showing up telling me he could move home if he wanted. 
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Signing the mortgage form saying no interest in the property is totally different to having rights after living in it with your husband.

Head over to wikivorce.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Rolling66
    Options
    Ohhh I didn't know that. I paid the deposit but it was a "gift" (stitched myself up backwards I know) and I won't lie - having to move back home with 2 kids knowing you really are an inconvenience isn't boding well. Maybe that will soften the blow. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback