Extended Warranty - Am I Entitled to a Refund?

Options
Hi, I purchased a vehicle from a dealership in November 2020. After getting my first mortgage in July 2020, I decided I wanted to 'downgrade' my car and sold the Audi I had purchased. When I bought the car in November 2020, the dealership told me I had to include extended warranty (even though the car was still under the manufactures warranty period), so I went ahead and signed the paperwork for the extended warranty to start 30th January 2021 once the Audi warranty had run out. As I no longer have the Audi, am I entitled to a refund on the extended warranty that was purchased through the dealership?

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does the extended warranty not transfer to the next owner?
  • Peaks87
    Options
    No I don't believe it does, I wasn't told this at the time of purchase?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Peaks87 said:
    No I don't believe it does, I wasn't told this at the time of purchase?
    What did the paperwork say, when you read it before you signed it?
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    Peaks87 said:
    Hi, I purchased a vehicle from a dealership in November 2020. After getting my first mortgage in July 2020, I decided I wanted to 'downgrade' my car and sold the Audi I had purchased. When I bought the car in November 2020, the dealership told me I had to include extended warranty (even though the car was still under the manufactures warranty period), so I went ahead and signed the paperwork for the extended warranty to start 30th January 2021 once the Audi warranty had run out. As I no longer have the Audi, am I entitled to a refund on the extended warranty that was purchased through the dealership?
    A lesson for the future.

You do not have to obey a salesman. 

You should have stood firm and declined the extended warranty if you didn't want it.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • George_Michael
    Options
    Even if they made the purchase of an extended warranty a requirement for buying the car, there was nothing stopping you from agreeing to it then cancelling within the next 14 days as normally permitted by law.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on the T&C's of the warranty you signed up to - only you know this until you tell us the company.
    I've had pro-rata refunds on a previous ones through Audi and Lexus
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    Have you asked the warranty company?
  • Peaks87
    Options
    Hi all, the warranty was with a company called Safe & Sound but they have finally just come back to me and I am entitled to a full refund as luckily the policy isn't due to start until 30th January. Thanks for your replies.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback