Part time/ self employed sick pay at an end.

Options
Hi everyone and so sorry to bother you with my issues but I don't no where else to ask. I was working part time 0 contracted casual hours at my current job and also a self employed artist before the pandemic hit.  Unfortunately I an accident in work  (I've had my Manuel handling training )  and have been off now longer than the 28 weeks so sick pay has ended and I have to apply for something else??? I have never been in this position before and I'm worried because I have received the government grant to which I was entitled to ( I live in a coastal village that is heavily reliant on the tourist trade) I don't know were I stand ? Can anyone please help?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sunbeams said:
    Hi everyone and so sorry to bother you with my issues but I don't no where else to ask. I was working part time 0 contracted casual hours at my current job and also a self employed artist before the pandemic hit.  Unfortunately I an accident in work  (I've had my Manuel handling training )  and have been off now longer than the 28 weeks so sick pay has ended and I have to apply for something else??? I have never been in this position before and I'm worried because I have received the government grant to which I was entitled to ( I live in a coastal village that is heavily reliant on the tourist trade) I don't know were I stand ? Can anyone please help?

If you've paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2018 to March 2020 you can claim New style ESA with a fit note from your GP and your SSP1 form. This pays £74.35 per week (over 25's).
    Universal Credit will depend on your circumstances because it's a means tested benefit. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple. Savings/capital of more than £16,000 will exclude you from claiming.
    A claim for UC will end any tax credits you may already be claiming.
    Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement.
    If you claim both of those together the New style ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
  • sunbeams
    Options
    Hi Poppy, I really appreciate your quick response.  Could I just ask,  the fact that I have also received the government grant for my self employment part will that not impact on this ESA claim? I know I will not be able to go for the other benefit as my hubby earns more than the 16,000.
    I feel so out of my depth and worried sick and I know there are many more people out there in worse positions but I'm so scared as I have no income now and my husbands wage just about covers the bills without food, sorry my head is all over the place with worry at the moment, sorry and thank you  so much Poppy 
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    Options
    What you received from SEISS will not affect any entitlement to new style ESA. You just need to have paid the correct NI contributions in those tax years.
    Have you even used a benefit calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit? It’s not based on yearly income, what counts in earning received during your monthly assessment period. 
  • sunbeams
    Options
    Thank you again ,Poppy.
    With regard to a benefit calculator no I haven't, I will go and find out , I take it that would be on the .gov site? 
    Many thanks

• sunbeams
    Options
    Thank you so much, you are so kind and I really do appreciate your time and advice :) 
    Wishing you all the very best x
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    sunbeams said: I know I will not be able to go for the other benefit as my hubby earns more than the 16,000. 
    I think you have confused two things. It is not possible to claim Universal Credit if you have capital in excess of £16,000. There is no fixed earnings limit because entitlement varies depending on circumstances. Using a calculator, as suggested by poppy, should help you assess entitlement. If you need more detailed benefits advice posting the Benefits and Tax Credits forum.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback