SAS ISA - Investment Advice

Options
Hi All,

I’m 22y/o - no lingering debts (so far!) & have an emergency fund to survive off if need be - Recently I have opened up a Vanguard S&S ISA & was going to start putting in about £100 p/m & any other spare income I have into the FTSE global all cap index & will likely just leave that until 5/10 years time , Just wanted to get any opinions on this ? if something like a Vanguard LS80 would be more beneficial or if there was any other fund/etf that I could pair nicely with the all cap index in my soon to be ‘portfolio’? I have done fairly a lot of research & thought having a passive investment would suit me more as the idea of constantly having to keep my eye on multiple stocks don’t really appeal to me 

in regards to future goals personally I just didn’t like seeing my money dormant in a savings account & wanted to see if I could invest. 

Thanks!

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi All,

I’m 22y/o - no lingering debts (so far!) & have an emergency fund to survive off if need be - Recently I have opened up a Vanguard S&S ISA & was going to start putting in about £100 p/m & any other spare income I have into the FTSE global all cap index & will likely just leave that until 5/10 years time , Just wanted to get any opinions on this ? if something like a Vanguard LS80 would be more beneficial or if there was any other fund/etf that I could pair nicely with the all cap index in my soon to be ‘portfolio’? I have done fairly a lot of research & thought having a passive investment would suit me more as the idea of constantly having to keep my eye on multiple stocks don’t really appeal to me 

in regards to future goals personally I just didn’t like seeing my money dormant in a savings account & wanted to see if I could invest. 

Thanks!
    Whether you have a 100% equity investment or 80% is not going to make a huge difference over a 5 to 10 year period, and which does best will depend on market conditions. 

• george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You certainly won’t go wrong with investing in the Vanguard Global All Cap Fund, it ticks a lot of boxes such as being a global diversified fund at a low cost and for someone your age a 100% equity fund is absolutely fine.

Something you might want to think about are;

1. What are you actually investing for? Do you want to buy a house in the future? If so, how soon?
    2. Are you investing in the right tax wrapper, or right combination of tax wrappers? Think ISAs, Lifetime ISAs, pensions etc.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,699 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Age 22 and looking at long term investments I think you've made the right move not having 20% in bonds as VLS80 would do
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Nathaniel98
    Options
    You certainly won’t go wrong with investing in the Vanguard Global All Cap Fund, it ticks a lot of boxes such as being a global diversified fund at a low cost and for someone your age a 100% equity fund is absolutely fine.

Something you might want to think about are;

1. What are you actually investing for? Do you want to buy a house in the future? If so, how soon?
    2. Are you investing in the right tax wrapper, or right combination of tax wrappers? Think ISAs, Lifetime ISAs, pensions etc.

Thanks for the advice! - What you have said makes sense regarding my age & being invested in 100% equity - as I assume the closer to retirement you are the less risk you would be willing take. 

1. That would definitely be the next goal for me & something I would be working towards in the next 10 years. I personally started looking into investing due to interest rates going down & thought it would be worth investing my extra income 

2. I currently have a Vanguard S&S ISA & have been researching some Lifetime ISA’s as well to help me as a FTB
  • Nathaniel98
    Options
    jimjames said:
    Age 22 and looking at long term investments I think you've made the right move not having 20% in bonds as VLS80 would do
    Thanks for the reply Jim! The reading I have been doing indicated the same opinion due to my age etc but I gain extra confidence with the MSE forum backing it up lol
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,689 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 January 2021 at 9:17PM
    Options
    2. I currently have a Vanguard S&S ISA & have been researching some Lifetime ISA’s as well to help me as a FTB
    If you are going for a Lifetime ISA then there are only a couple of months left to make good use of this tax year's contribution allowance to maximise your bonuses. Although be aware that with inflation the £450k property price cap might be more restrictive on what properties you could buy in 5-10 years time.
    Are you making good use of any workplace pension options you may have?
  • Nathaniel98
    Options
    Alexland said:
    If you are going for a Lifetime ISA then there are only a couple of months left to make good use of this tax year's contribution allowance to maximise your bonuses. Although be aware that with inflation the £450k property price cap might be more restrictive on what properties you could buy in 5-10 years time.
    Are you making good use of any workplace pension options you may have?
    Thanks will look into lifetime ISA’s a bit more & will probably look to open one by the start of the next tax year 

Regarding pensions, currently making monthly contributions with NEST since turning 22 - my workplace also adds to this monthly as well 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure