Claiming UC

I'm just starting the claim process for UC and thought I'd received a letter from DWP. Turns out it was not for me, although using my address, but for the middle aged son of the woman who used to live here and now lives in the flat beneath me. I know the son does not live with her and never has, he lives with his child and partner elsewhere. He is claiming ESA and the letter was sent regarding cold weather payment. My query is, how likely is it that someone claiming here is going to cause problems with my claim and any other benefit related claims I need to make. This has completely stressed me out this morning, I have gone down to speak to her but she's not in and don't want to just pop the letter through her door because I know nothing will change. 

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You should return the letter to sender saying no longer lives here.  
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It could have been a very simple error in the house/flat number. Just so that you know, if you claimed online for UC then everything is done through your journal online and you won't receive any paper letters.
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How long ago is it since the woman moved out / you moved in? If recent then it would suggest that he has been claiming ESA using his mother's address but has yet to notify the DWP he has changed address.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sounds like potential benefit fraud, living with his partner but not declared it. As suggested above, just write "Not At This Address - Return to Sender" on envelope and pop it back in the post box. DWP will then sort it out.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    As suggested above, return the letter as 'Not known at this address'.

Additionally, if you believe benefit fraud is being committed, you can report it anonymously, here: 

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure