Best place to temporarily store proceeds of a house sale

Options
Hello.
We are selling our house, and after mortgage redemption will end up with about £600k. We aim to spend the money on a new house within 6 months, where is the best place to safely store it?

I pay tax at 40% and my wife pays 25% if that makes any difference. We would like like to make money out of it, but are very risk averse and will need access to it relatively quickly.
Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• grumiofoundation
    Options
    Anywhere you like.

FSCS protection (normally 95k per institution) is temporarily extended up to a million for up to 12 months

https://www.fscs.org.uk/how-we-work/claims-process/temporary-high-balances/

If you end up needing more than 12 months NS and I (backed by treasury) offers protection above 85k.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I pay tax at 40% and my wife pays 25% if that makes any difference. We would like like to make money out of it, but are very risk averse and will need access to it relatively quickly.

If you need to access money quickly , then it should never be in a risk based investment anyway , whether you are risk averse or not . Investments are for the long term .

You can get around 0.5% in easy access savings accounts . £600K for 6 months at 0.5% = £1.5K interest .

As a higher rate taxpayer you will pay 40% tax on any interest earned over £500 .

Your wife as a basic rate taxpayer ( paying 20% not 25% ) can earn £1000 interest tax free. So you might want to split it into two accounts .

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,689 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    matstand said:
    I pay tax at 40%
    Are you able to increase your pension contributions to avoid paying higher rate tax? It can also help with child benefit if you are a parent.
  • matstand
    Options
    Thanks for all help.

I don't think that the pension contribution would help, as we need to buy a house sooner rather than later.

M
  • grumiofoundation
    Options
    You can both put 50k each in premium bonds, any winnings are tax free. 
  • Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, I was thinking max out in premium bonds and the rest in NS&I.  This is not really investment money it's the OPs home!
  • lhsecons
    lhsecons Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Mickey666 said:
    Yes, I was thinking max out in premium bonds and the rest in NS&I.  This is not really investment money it's the OPs home!
    That’s true, but why put the money in NS&I when it is completely safe in another savings account for the time period the OP is looking at. As suggested earlier you can get 0.5% in easy access accounts which is over 3 times what NS&I pays. I fully agree with the premium bond suggestion though. Iff you want to maximise the return you can increase it further by putting £20000 each in an instant access cash isa, assuming you haven’t already contributed to one this year.
  • ChilliBob
    ChilliBob Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely premium bonds to start with. The other 500k I guess easy access, use the best buy rates on here then look to Which or something for other ones a bit lower. 6 accounts, bingo.
    Savings platforms have pants rates atm unless you want 1yr lockup. 

• ChilliBob
    ChilliBob Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    Options
    Also, aside from PBs I'd avoid NS&I due to people having issues getting the cash out! (combined with poor rates there's little benefit if you only need to open 5-6 sccounts
  • lhsecons
    lhsecons Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    You don’t need 5 or 6 accounts for that time period though. As stated earlier one is protected up to £1 million for 12 months.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure