Faulty Car

Options
Hi Guys

Just after a bit of advice hopefully,

So a bit of background to my issue, I bought a 3 year old Kia Sorento back in March last year, the car had a fault literally driving it home from the garage which was reported straight away. The car intermittently goes into Limp mode but with no dash lights or flagging any error messages. Initially it was doing it 5 to 6 times a week, but now can occur anywhere between once weekly or have a 4 or 5 week gap before it does it. It also has "sticky" steering

It has since been into the Kia Dealers 4 times to try and repair the fault to no avail. In November they tried to fix the steering, but when I picked the car up the steering wheel was off centre, the car pulled to the left and I could drive around a right had bend whilst steering left. This had to be corrected by a local ATS garage.

I raised a complaint after I was no longer getting a response from the dealer, they contacted me to take another look at the car and have had it for the last week. They have now said they still can't find the fault so they no longer know what to do. It was escalated to the Kia Tech Team last November who offered the dealer support, but were still unable to locate the issue.

I won't take my kids in the car in it's current state, as you can imagine losing all power at major junctions with no warning lights is quite dangerous. I can't sell the vehicle privately knowing it has this fault, and if I trade it in I'll take a loss on a car that has always been a nail.

So my question is, am I entitled to now ask for them to replace the vehicle for like for like or refund me? Or is my only option to take a loss?

Thanks
Si

Comments

• Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't Kias come with a 7yr warranty?  What do the terms of that say?  Any mention of what happens if they can't fix the issue?
  • treasach
    Options
    Yeah it had 4 years warranty left on, they just say if they can't find the fault they can't fix it. I've provided videos of it doing the issue so I have evidence and not just my word against theirs. I did ask for my money back whilst in the 30 day cooling off period but was told no, it's not that simple (in an email) 

I've also asked a few times what the next steps are, but I'm told they don't know 
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are not going to get a full refund on a 3 year old vehicle, any refund will take into account the age and mileage.
    Escalate to the CEO of Kia UK and put the ball in their court, but first decide which remedy you want.
    In the first 30 days, rejection was that simple, but of course that option has now long vanished.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • treasach
    Options
    I've not had the car 3 years though, I've only had it 11 months 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills