Youngish and inexperienced - How am I doing?

Options
13»

Comments

• AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's difficult to compare a DB versus a DC pension accurately, more gut feel and anecdotal.

If you use the often referenced 4% withdrawal from a DC pot then you can multiply the annual DB amount by 25 to estimate a value. If you think 3% is a more realistic rate then multiply it by 33.

I'm in the latter camp for DB income as at 4% withdrawal there is a risk your pot could run out before you die. At 3% that is extremely unlikely and you get the added benefits of spouse pension and life assurance so I use 33x Annual Pension to arrive at a nominal DC pot.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is a DB pension that I have, I aware they are rare now.  But what I am not sure about is how do you compare a DB pension against a DC?  

In addition to the comments already made .

A private company offering a DB scheme can be putting a lot more into the scheme than they would with a DC pension.

Maybe as much as 25% , although as your contribution is relatively high at 10% , it might be less.

DC contributions from employer are minimum 3% legally , although larger employers and with professional staff can pay more, but usually not more than 10%. So if you moved jobs you need to probably compensate with a 10% salary increase just to cover the pension ( just a guess obviously without knowing full details )

• MoneySavingAlly
    Options

DC contributions from employer are minimum 3% legally , although larger employers and with professional staff can pay more, but usually not more than 10%. So if you moved jobs you need to probably compensate with a 10% salary increase just to cover the pension ( just a guess obviously without knowing full details )

This is really helpful for when I look for new oppurtunties I will know how to compare pension provisions.
  • MoneySavingAlly
    Options
    Would it be an unwise move to take money out from the offset saver (mortgage rate under 2%)  and top up my ISA allowance to the 20k this year?

Thanks,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure