Investing a small regular amount

Options
Probi
Probi Posts: 145 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 23 January 2021 at 12:03PM in Savings & investments
Hi,
I am looking at starting to invest some money each month, to begin with I am only looking at between £25 - £50 per month, I have decided to go with the vanguard global all cap fund, but I'm stuck on which provider to use and I am getting a bit confused with all the different charging methods.

I know HL will allow a small amount each month but their charges are high.

My questions are:

Does it really matter where I put the money as it is such a small amount and any difference in charges would be minimal?

Is there somewhere better than HL for this type of investment / low monthly amount?

Thanks!

Comments

• Costabit
    Costabit Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ISA or SIPP or GIA ?
    If you could stretch to £100 then The Vanguard platform would suffice. If not,Fidelity take £25 minimums with a slightly lower charge than HL . 
  • Probi
    Probi Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks, I will be using an ISA
  • bd10
    bd10 Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here's an overview of platform costs:
    Vanguard itself is not included in the 100% funds summary.
    Do charges matter? Yes, irrespective of small or large amounts. They eat into your returns.
    As regards HL. They are expensive for funds but very competitive for shares/ETFs/ITs if one buys once and just uses the account for custody: max £45 / year for an ISA or none for a sharedealing account.
    Have a look at AJ Bell. Annual fund custody 0.25%, £1.50 dealing charge, just an example.

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    On tiny sums it doesn't really matter
    £50 pcm for 1 year with HL will cost you £1.35 all in. This is MSE but even so ...
    Good website and customer service for a novice
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,276 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look at AJ Bell. Annual fund custody 0.25%, £1.50 dealing charge, just an example

So would be £1.50 charge every month + about a £1 in platform costs . So about 15X more expensive than HL

f not,Fidelity take £25 minimums with a slightly lower charge than HL . 

Fidelity has a minimum charge of £45 pa 

• Costabit
    Costabit Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options

Fidelity has a minimum charge of £45 pa 

Fidelity minimum charge will be waived if setting up a regular plan and will just charge 0.35% for funds
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 January 2021 at 2:05PM
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    On tiny sums it doesn't really matter
    £50 pcm for 1 year with HL will cost you £1.35 all in. This is MSE but even so ...
    Good website and customer service for a novice
    But then having been a customer of both I can say Fidelity are equally good (better website, worse app) and over the years as the account balance grows the difference gets bigger so why pay 0.10% extra for HL?
    Another option the OP might consider is to signup with cheaper Vanguard Investor at £100 pm then after a while lowering the regular contribution (have seen other forum users confirming this is possible) perhaps after 5 months when reaching the £500 minimum lump sum for opening an account if not regular investing. Or earlier if you think they won't notice.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I manually pay in upto £15 a month into my vanguard S&S ISA and costs are negligible each quarter.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Michael121
    Options
    Isn't vanguard the cheapest anyway for vanguard global all cap. I looked at my fund on fidelity and it would be way more expensive with 0.35 platform cost, 0.22 ongoing fee and a 0.12 transaction cost. I wasn't happy to see my fund go from 0.48 to 0.58 but when looking at fidelity that takes the biscuit.

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 January 2021 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Isn't vanguard the cheapest anyway for vanguard global all cap.
    Yes but the problem the OP has is that Vanguard Investor require either a £500 lump sum or a comitment to £100 per month to open the account.  Our point is that you can start at £100 pm then lower it or go with HL/Fidelity who accept a smaller regular contribution to open an account but they have higher ongoing charges. The fund's disclosure on internal transaction costs are the same wherever you hold it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback