Will one file recovery software block another

I'm sorry if that title made no sense, but hopefully someone can help. I accidentally saved all files I wanted to keep onto the internal storage, instead of a USB before doing a factory restore. When I realised (after doing reset) I searched for data recovery software and saw free trial from MiniTool, which I downloaded. It gave me about half the files back for free, but it will cost me $82 to get the rest back, so I was looking for a cheaper option and found recuva. When I try to run it, I get an error message saying that the app has quit unexpectedly and it won't run. Is this because the other program is somehow stopping it, or do I have any other option apart from paying MiniTool..? Thanks in advance!
I don't think I can hang on til Friday...

Comments

• BTW - I have windows 10 on my laptop, would that explain why it isn't working & if so, do you have any suggestions of another program to use for recovering the files please..?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can have as many file recovery programs as you like.

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Try removing mini tool first.
  • CoastingHatbox
    CoastingHatbox Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 January 2021 at 1:54PM
    I wouldn't be a surprised, if a tool that was written such that it will let you recover half your files free and then charge people to recover the rest, would stop alternative tools from installing properly etc..

As @JJ_Egan said, try removing mini tool if possible. Be careful though, because anything written to the disk will potentially overwrite the files you are trying to recover. This is a situation where I would drop the disk out of a machine and use another machine to do the recovery, so that the disk with delete files on is not actively used by the running operating system or any other software until the files are recovered.

Also, try and sort out an automatic backup strategy for your data in future, so a mistake like this is not such a problem.
    A dream is not reality, but who's to say which is which?
  • You can have as many file recovery programs as you like.

As per my initial post, recuva wouldn’t run. I got it sorted with testdisk in the end though.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Okay, so I didn't read it properly. :)
    Point stands though, there is normally no reason why you can't have multiple programs at the same time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback