PPI - charge on property

Hi 
wonder if anyone can help. 
we had a loan from black horse for a vehicle back in 2005, this debt was never paid off and we never claimed back the PPI.
We had completely forgot about this as we never received and post or anything form it, we found out a the end of last year that a charge had been put on our house for this outstanding debt (roughly £14,000) 
we phoned Black horse and asked them if the would give us a settlement figure (what we owe minus the PPI)  so we could clear this, they basically laughed and said tough! 
Is there anything we can do to get the PPI off the amount so we can finally pay it off? 
TIA 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No.  You're extremely out of time.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    we phoned Black horse and asked them if the would give us a settlement figure (what we owe minus the PPI)  so we could clear this, they basically laughed and said tough! 
    I suppose it was worth a try but the result does not surprise me.   Especially if it wasn't a black horse agent that sold the policy but a car dealer (and it would be the car dealer that is liable, not black horse)

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 January 2021 at 1:11PM
    So you took out a loan, didn't pay it back and now want a refund of money you didn't pay in the first place? Even if you weren't 18 months too late, you'd have been onto a hiding for nothing for this one. As above, you almost certainly complained to the wrong place, if it was car finance 99% of the time it was sold by the car dealership and Black Horse simply provided the finance, so hold no liability for miss-sale anyway - the seller is the issue.
  • So you took out a loan, didn't pay it back and now want a refund of money you didn't pay in the first place? Even if you weren't 18 months too late, you'd have been onto a hiding for nothing for this one. As above, you almost certainly complained to the wrong place, if it was car finance 99% of the time it was sold by the car dealership and Black Horse simply provided the finance, so hold no liability for miss-sale anyway - the seller is the issue.
    Where did I say I’m not paying it back? I said I want to pay back what I owe minus the PPI. 
  • So you took out a loan, didn't pay it back and now want a refund of money you didn't pay in the first place? Even if you weren't 18 months too late, you'd have been onto a hiding for nothing for this one. As above, you almost certainly complained to the wrong place, if it was car finance 99% of the time it was sold by the car dealership and Black Horse simply provided the finance, so hold no liability for miss-sale anyway - the seller is the issue.
    Where did I say I’m not paying it back? I said I want to pay back what I owe minus the PPI. 
    They said you didn't pay it back

Discodiva79 said:
    we had a loan from black horse for a vehicle back in 2005, this debt was never paid off
    Seems like they were right.
  • OP claims no knowledge about non payment of the loan and the subsequent charge on their property.
    Would the lender not have to go to a court to get judgement before placing the charge? No correspondence from any court either?
  • OP claims no knowledge about non payment of the loan and the subsequent charge on their property.
    Would the lender not have to go to a court to get judgement before placing the charge? No correspondence from any court either?
    You can't have "no knowledge about non payment" of your own loan!

OP made it clear they borrowed money and didn't pay it back, so bank got a charge on their property. I'd hazard a guess they just ignored the paperwork that would have come after a lot of chasing from the bank, the court and whatever else. There is no way on earth that they didn't get at least 1 letter or call from the bank, debt collectors etc during that entire period unless they moved and didn't update the address details. The fact they're living in a house that has a charge on it suggests they have the same address as with the loan (or updated their details after moving) so they would have received all the paperwork. That said, if it defaulted and there was a CCJ, it would probably have all been done and dusted by say 2010 and thus all records have disappeared from the credit agencies and they probably just hoped they could ignore it and it would go away.

OP also seems a bit confused as no-one "claims back" PPI, you complain about it being miss-sold with your evidence and see what happens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback