Octopus Energy refusing to fix my gas meter

Hi Folks

The digital display on my gas meter (Siemens E6 / standard meter not a prepayment) has faded and is no longer displaying digits for gas readings. 

I think the battery for the display may need to be replaced? - but Octopus are refusing to deal with my existing meter (BUT state they are unable to fit a smart meter! 😡). 

1. Has anyone had this digital display problem? (how was it resolved) 

2. Any knowledge of any energy companies who Do still replace meter batteries - as I would consider switching to them? 

Octopus obviously want to fit a Smart meter (fine by me!) - their associated engineers (SMS plc) visited but after inspection were unwilling to fit a smart meter citing access issues (the meter is in a wall recess accessed from my kitchen larder cupboard - quite tight yes but still pretty accessible. I think they were worried about damaging my kitchen units to be fair to them.

I have emailed several local Ofgem registered gas meter fitters asking if they could check my meter / fit a battery - but they all declined and advised me that have responsibility.

So I am in limbo and without a working gas meter display since September and don’t have the funds at present to pay for expensive meter point / pipework relocation by my gas network. 

Advice from anyone who has experienced a similar issue would be much appreciated. 

Back story for info:

(I contacted my supplier Octopus Energy in September 2020, however they state that they don’t arrange for battery replacement / repairs to older meters anymore and only arrange for smart meters to be installed. They arranged for an engineer from SMS plc to attend but he was unable to fit a smart meter as he stated the recess where the meter is located is too inaccessible for replacement work. He also stated they don’t fit batteries. Due to this, Octopus then referred me to SGN gas network who have advised that as long as I can access the emergency control valve (which I can), there is no mandatory requirement by them to alter the pipework to relocate the meter which would be very expensive in any case. They advise that my energy supplier should be able to arrange battery replacement or meter replacement – which they can’t / won’t do) 

All I’d like is to get the display on the existing meter working again.

Comments

• Email greg@octopus.energy outlining your problem. 
  • ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Surely the meter is Transco or equivalent property?
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • Scotty187570
    Scotty187570 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 October 2023 at 5:53PM
    Email greg@octopus.energy outlining your problem. 
    Thanks Dolor - I’ve been dealing with alex @ octopus.energy but not making any advancements 
  • ess0two said:
    Surely the meter is Transco or equivalent property?
    Used to be Transco but they sold off their meter / gas supply responsibility in Scotland to Scottish Gas Network (SGN). 
    SGN also cover the SE of England now too according to the SGN website. 

• You have a potential problem. I believe that her ‘in charge’ has deemed meter work non essential during your Lockdown.
  • I am going solar so will need a smart meter.  So I looked at the options and Octopus is good. 
    However Octopus told me to get my current provider to fit one, or swap to another provider.. and when it was done I could swap to them!  They are simply not doing any meters now. Furloughed all staff. Let someone else do it. 
    Doesn’t sound honest to me..
    if they had offered me a date and for me to pay I’d have done it.
  • I am going solar so will need a smart meter.  So I looked at the options and Octopus is good. 
    However Octopus told me to get my current provider to fit one, or swap to another provider.. and when it was done I could swap to them!  They are simply not doing any meters now. Furloughed all staff. Let someone else do it. 
    Doesn’t sound honest to me..
    if they had offered me a date and for me to pay I’d have done it.
    Oh yes they are. I had my meters replaced last month by an Octopus partner. Smart meter installations are still allowed in England but not apparently in Scotland under lockdown rules. You cannot pay directly to have smart meters fitted. 
  • kaintxu
    kaintxu Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I had my electric meter replaces Monday last week. The Gas one was not changed due to some issue I was sorting out with Octopus, but that´s about it.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 October 2023 at 5:53PM
    You have a potential problem. I believe that her ‘in charge’ has deemed meter work non essential during your Lockdown.
    I doubt that is true if its to replace a meter that is not working properly. Smart meter replacements for perfectly good non-smart meters are hardly essential.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Can you take a photo of the meter location please?
    Just trying to see if it was reasonable for the engineer to decline to fit the smart meter or not... ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback