PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

SDLT1 form - leasehold property, can anyone help please?

Options
HI. I'm selling my property to my parents and we are currently completing the SDLT1 form for the SDLT they need to pay. I'm struggling a bit with the SDLT1 as the property I'm selling is a leasehold. Q2 is the transcation type, is it a 'conveyence/transfer' (acquisition of any freehold interest in land where no lease is involved) or 'any other transaction involving lease' (acquisition of all interests where there is a lease involved, except the grant of a new lease or a replacement lease)? I understand that there is a lease associated with the property, but am I transferring the lease to them or am I transferring just the property, as I am not the owner of the lease (the freeholder). Am I then required to fill in quesitons 16-21 regarding the lease details? I have the Title Regsiter which provides these details, but I am an unsure when the lease begins/ends - is it the intial date of 1946 when the property was built or 1992 when the lease seem to change, or 2009 when I bought the property?
 GREATER MANCHESTER : WIGAN
  1. 1  (17.07.1992) The Leasehold land shown edged with red on the plan of the above Title filed at the Registry and being XXXXX

2. 2  (17.07.1992) The mines and minerals are excepted.

3. 3  (17.07.1992) Short particulars of the lease(s) (or under-lease(s)) under which the land is held:

Date : 10 October 1946
Term : 999 years (less 10 days) from 29 September 1946 Rent : £5.6s.8d

Parties     : (1) XXXX
                      (2) XXXXXX

Title good leasehold
  1. 1  (10.09.2009) PROPRIETOR: ANDREW SMITH of XXXXXX (address)

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're transferring the lease, which began in 1946 (I don't know exactly what the questions on the form are though).
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 January 2021 at 7:13PM
    Options
    ...... the property I'm selling is a leasehold. Q2 is the transcation type, is it a 'conveyence/transfer' (acquisition of any freehold interest in land where no lease is involved)
    clearly not. You said there is a lease.
    or 'any other transaction involving lease' (acquisition of all interests where there is a lease involved, except the grant of a new lease or a replacement lease)?
    clearly yes, since it involves an existing (not new) lease
    1I understand that there is a lease associated with the property, but am I transferring the lease to them or am I transferring just the property, as I am not the owner of the lease (the freeholder).
    you are very confused! You are the owner of the lease I assume. You bought it in 2009 did you not?
    Quite why you put 'the freeholder' in brackets I don't know. You have not said you own the freehold as well. Do you? If so, are you also selling the freehold (or a share of it) to your parents?
    Am I then required to fill in quesitons 16-21 regarding the lease details? I have the Title Regsiter which provides these details, but I am an unsure when the lease begins/ends - is it the intial date of 1946 when the property was built or 1992 when the lease seem to change, or 2009 when I bought the property?
    the lease was created in October 1946 and lasts till October 2945. You are therefore selling the right for your parents to occupy the property till 2946 (or their deaths whichever comes sooner....).Thereafter, the right to the property will return to the freeholder.
     GREATER MANCHESTER : WIGAN

1. 1  (17.07.1992) The Leasehold land shown edged with red on the plan of the above Title filed at the Registry and being XXXXX

2. 2  (17.07.1992) The mines and minerals are excepted.

3. 3  (17.07.1992) Short particulars of the lease(s) (or under-lease(s)) under which the land is held:

Date : 10 October 1946
    Term : 999 years (less 10 days) from 29 September 1946 Rent : £5.6s.8d

Parties     : (1) XXXX
                          (2) XXXXXX

Title good leasehold

1. 1  (10.09.2009) PROPRIETOR: ANDREW SMITH of XXXXXX (address)

Comments in bold.
  • NameUnavailable
    Options

the lease was created in October 1946 and lasts till October 2945. You are therefore selling the right for your parents to occupy the property till 2946 (or their deaths whichever comes sooner....).Thereafter, the right to the property will return to the freeholder
    Comments in bold.
    If you die the property returns to the freeholder? Surely not!
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

the lease was created in October 1946 and lasts till October 2945. You are therefore selling the right for your parents to occupy the property till 2946 (or their deaths whichever comes sooner....).Thereafter, the right to the property will return to the freeholder
    Comments in bold.
    If you die the property returns to the freeholder? Surely not!

Fair point. Poorly worded!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure