New Post Advanced Search

British Gas Prepayment meter change to Credit Meter

4 replies 31 views
LouisestLouisest Forumite
3 posts
Fourth Anniversary First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello everyone
I am hoping someone can help me.  We had a prepayment meter with British Gas for years and paid the debt off years ago.  We changed to a credit meter last month and set up a direct debit.  However, last week they sent us an energy bill for £1100, not one person could tell me what its for, when I had a look at our online account they have charged us every 3 months whilst on a prepayment meter and all the charges add up to £1100.  It doesn't say what the charges are for it just says 'charges'  I was under the impression that when on a prepayment meter you pay for your gas and electric as you go and you shouldn't be charged anything else.  
I am now going through their complaints procedure but whilst waiting to hear back from them I was wondering if anyone has had this before and if this is correct, no one ever mentioned about extra charges whilst being on a prepayment meter and I cant find anything about this online.
I should also add that they haven't set up a direct debit as yet and have now been advised not to until this is resolved.
Thank you

Replies

• JoyfulJoyful Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There could be a few reasons for this. It sounds as if they have not been getting any payments from you. Have you been using a British Gas key? If so you will want to make sure all your payments have been registered and that the correct tariff was on your meter. Does your bill online show any payments received?  Check the meter details on the bill are the same as on your meter. also check the Meter point Reference number on it too (MPRN). Its possible it's not your bill.
    ****Released the reins and am now Self employed when this lockdown clears!****
  • LouisestLouisest Forumite
    3 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks for your reply.  I always topped up online and received email confirmations and made sure they showed up on the smart meter.  Their schedule online also shows all my top ups.
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    is it a bill, requesting payment, or a statement up to meter change?
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• LouisestLouisest Forumite
    3 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Its a bill requesting payment.  But its come from when I had the prepayment meter which makes no sense to me.  I can see the charges since changing over but its not included in the £1100 from when I had the prepayment meter.