Is it time to replace my battery?

Flatulentoldgoat
Flatulentoldgoat Posts: 304 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 20 January 2021 at 2:17PM in Motoring
Back in the cold spell, I parked up for a couple of days. Went to turn the car on and all I was getting was the famous click click. It took a jump start to get me moving again. However, now that it's warmed up a bit I'm starting and driving just fine. I'm thinking I could push the battery towards next winter as long as I'm careful to keep moving. Any thoughts?
I don't know how old the battery is but I've had the car for 3 years. It's a 2012 model so the battery could be 9 years old......

Comments

• clive0510
    clive0510 Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    you can take it to your local garage and get them to test the battery, or maybe somewhere like halfords or quick fit. alternatively you can buy a battery tester on amazon. should come with instructions, hopefully in english! 
  • Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I've had similar issues with my car in the recent cold weather.  It does start but the battery can only just turn over the engine when it has been frosty so I'm thinking the battery is on its way out.  I've had the car about 6 years and have not replaced the battery and as I bought it at 3 years old, I doubt the battery has ever been changed, so 9 years from a battery is pretty good and I'm not complaining and don't intend to mess about testing it after 9 years.
    In fact, this post is a good reminder that I really must get a new one soon!
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,164 Forumite
    At 9 years I would expect the battery to be at "end of life". Probably worth getting it checked, and depends on your current usage, eg occasional short trips will use more power to start the car than you are replacing by starting it, and cold weather does not help. However, in general for the cost of a new battery you would at least have piece of mind, and a 3 year warranty! (NB If it is short trips even with a new battery it will still be a problem unless you put it on charge occasionally or do the odd (weekly) longer trip..)
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • Mickey666
    I don't think it's a short trip problem, when I do use the car it's rarely for anything less than 25 miles. 
    I'm putting it down to end of life . . . although, I went out earlier and it turned over just fine, but then it was 10C today rather than the -2C when I noticed the problem.  If there is no further prolonged cold spell this year I might chance it and replace it next winter ;)
    Whatever happens, I've got no real complaint after 9 years or so.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mickey666 said:
    I don't think it's a short trip problem, when I do use the car it's rarely for anything less than 25 miles. 
    Sounds more like an infrequent-use problem, then.

Remember that the car is consuming power all the time, whether it's being used or not. Remote locking is listening out. Alarm is set. ECU memories are powered-up.
  • Mickey666
    What would you consider 'infrequent use' and how did you extrapolate that from the car rarely being used for anything less than 25 miles?

I take your point that there is always some power being consumed but it's going to be milliamps so a 90-ish Ah battery is going to last a very long time indeed.  Indeed, I've never had a battery problem after being away for 3-4 weeks and the car not being used at all. 

Given that it's a very old battery, I think it's clutching at straws to dream up alternative explanations, unless you really think it should last a lot longer than 9 years?

• frost500
    frost500 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Post
    The trouble is with old batteries, you can jump start them and get the car going, all will be fine for a few weeks. Then you will get in the car after you have been shopping, and the car will not start. Then what do you do when you are stranded at Asda? Phone the AA, who will of course fit a new battery for £150. Or you could just buy a battery now for £70 with a 3 year warranty.
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,164 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2021 at 10:18PM
    ..batteries can last 6+ years....if you are going to replace it anyway you may as well do it now and get the reliability....will you still have the car in 6 years?
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • Why has no one mentioned the alternator?

Op - before you buy a new battery check the alternator is outputting correctly
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback