BA voucher

Hey 
Our holiday was cancelled in September due to Covid. We applied for a voucher not realising we could get money back. We had only paid the deposit so got a voucher for £300. We are now looking to get the money back as I didn’t realise we could do this at the time.  Am I still entitled to a refund ? 

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 January 2021 at 8:30PM
    You are entitled to a refund when your holiday is cancelled.  However, if you accepted vouchers instead you may now struggle to get them to take the voucher back and issue you a cash refund.  All you can do is ask though!
  • I can’t think of anyone who is exchanging vouchers for cash tbh.   Obviously it helps the company if people take vouchers.   You may be able to book something for later in year and if this is cancelled you should be able to request a refund or you may get a fabulous holiday. 👍
  • Jenna_
    Jenna_ Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    Only thing is if we get a holiday we can’t afford to go! 
  • Unfortunately once you've taken vouchers that's the end of the road - sorry.
  • I am in the same situation but back in Mar 2020 there was no option on the website to refund and spend over 6 hrs on phone over weeks trying to talk to someone.  So went for voucher instead as I thought that I would lose my money.
    There must be some way to force BA to refund - Small Claims court?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    grahamdi said:
    I am in the same situation but back in Mar 2020 there was no option on the website to refund and spend over 6 hrs on phone over weeks trying to talk to someone.  So went for voucher instead as I thought that I would lose my money.
    There must be some way to force BA to refund - Small Claims court?
    It's not a small claims issue - you effectively accepted a voucher as full and final settlement for the uncompleted booking.  As above, you can ask BA if they'll buy it back, but it seems extremely unlikely that they'd do so - however, if you have evidence that they actually denied you a refund (as opposed to simply making it easy to get vouchers online and hard to get cash refunds by phone) then that's potentially a CMA/Trading Standards issue....
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    The trick would be to use the voucher to book something that is highly likely to be cancelled. If it is cancelled, you get your money back. If it isn’t cancelled you cancel it yourself back to a voucher.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    silvercar said:
    The trick would be to use the voucher to book something that is highly likely to be cancelled. If it is cancelled, you get your money back. If it isn’t cancelled you cancel it yourself back to a voucher.
    Would that work?  Generally if an airline cancel the flight, they refund back to the original payment method.  The payment method for the new booking would be voucher, so surely the refund would be voucher?

That's how it works with other airlines anyway, although BA may be different.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    bagand96 said:
    silvercar said:
    Would that work?  Generally if an airline cancel the flight, they refund back to the original payment method.  The payment method for the new booking would be voucher, so surely the refund would be voucher?

That's how it works with other airlines anyway, although BA may be different.
    It is how BA are working. Refund back to the original payment method of the voucher.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I had a booking to Gibraltar earlier this Month which was cancelled by me due to the Government their preventing entry.
    It was paid for part by Credit Card and the rest with a Voucher for an earlier aborted trip to Poland or some such place.
    The "cash" was  refunded to the Card and a replacement voucher issued. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback