Amazon Monthly Payments problem/query

Hi, hope I’m posting in the appropriate place. 

I purchased an Apple Watch through Amazon payments (where they charge your card 5 equal payments 30 days apart) on 31st December. It was delivered 2nd January and I’ve obviously been using it since then. 

On Monday 11th I received this email from them:

” We're contacting you about order #205-xxx for the following item: 

Apple Watch SE GPS, 44mm Silver Aluminium Case with White Sport Band - Regular 

Due to a technical issue, we weren't able to process your instalment payment for this order. Instead of processing the first monthly payment, we charged you for the full purchase amount. 

We are unable to reverse the transaction and enroll you in the monthly payments program for this order. You have the option to either return the item for a refund of the purchase amount or keep it. To arrange a return please visit the following URL: 

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. To help make up for this, we've applied a £20 promotional credit to your account. This promotional credit will automatically apply the next time you order an eligible item sold and dispatched by Amazon. You don’t need a code to use this promotional credit. For more details about promotional codes, visit the following URL:“

I’m just wondering what my rights might be around this? I can’t return the watch because I’d been wearing it for 9 days by the time I got this email. I appreciate they’ve given me a £20 credit but that doesn’t really seem to be the point, to me. If I’d wanted to buy it outright that’s what I would have done. 

I feel like it’s probably a grey area because I’ve obviously authorised them to take payments from my card - but not in the manner they have. 

Please, in the nicest possible way, I don’t need comments about checking my statement, or paying by instalments etc. I’d just like to know if anyone has any advice before I speak to Amazon about it, or if anyone has had the same problem? Thanks in advance...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback