Solo IVA But a Joint Morgage

Options
Hi Everyone, 
My wife is coming up to her final year with a solo IVA and they now want us to Refinance or re mortgage our house, but i am not part of the iva and i refused when she took it out, can i refuse to Refinance or re mortgage as it would for sure be a higher interest rate etc as our credit is now poor, Also i think we prob only have maybe £ 15k in equity at best. 
Does anyone have any good advice
TIA Barry

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, when I went into an IVA way back in 2005, we had about £50k equity in our house. My OH basically bought me out of the house, and that money went to the IVA at the beginning. I guess technically your wife owns £7.5k of the equity so that's what they'll be after. Can you finance it another way - loan, family etc. Presumably once the IVA is finished you'll have a bit more disposable income to clear that. Might be worth speaking to your existing lender, see if they can extend the mortgage on existing terms if you can't find a better deal.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Yes you can refuse. The likelihood of her being able to get any sort of secured loan is pretty much nil, so she will do a further year of payments.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback