Nhs dentist. Denture or bridge.

I have two front teeth missing, actually a stump remains from one of the teeth. I had a crown and bridge in place which recently broke. No arguments with that, it had served me well for over 30 yrs. My nhs dentist wants to remove the stump and replace with a Denture. I would like either a crown on the stump with attached bridge, or a double raise and return bridge. Can I insist on this arrangement rather than a denture. Any help much appreciated. 

Replies

• brook2jack2brook2jack2 Forumite
    361 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Nhs dentistry is there to provide what will secure dental health , that will not necessarily be what you would prefer. 
    You cannot put a bridge on a "stump" of tooth . So a bridge would need to replace two teeth and be supported off a further two teeth that would need to be in good condition and the gums would need to be in good condition. 
    This is a four unit bridge. You will not get this on the NHS although if teeth and gums are in good condition you might be able to get this privately. 
    You will only be offered a denture in this situation on the NHS. 
  • DunnsdaleDunnsdale Forumite
    52 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks. If I had the stump taken out, then I was considering the two tooth bridge, secured to the adjoining canines. There was some suggestion of putting a post in the stump and fitting a crown with a cantilever bridge secured to the adjoining tooth. Guess I'll have to settle for a denture if these options aren't viable. Thanks for your help. 
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having a bridge, especially a cantilever one, supported by a post is usually a 'no no' - as the forces on it are highly likely to fracture the root pretty quickly.
    If it were going to be done, it would need very careful assessment, a patient willing to take the gamble it might be money down the drain, and a brave dentist with an exceptionally good consent document!

As Brook has said - on the NHS, you are most likely to be offered the simplest, cheapest way to a reasonable result.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • FrithFrith Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reading with interest as my son has one front tooth missing with the other dead and patched up and is pondering whether to get a bridge. (Bicycle accident during lockdown one). 
  • DunnsdaleDunnsdale Forumite
    52 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Update. Had an examination this morning to establish a treatment plan. Decided to have the stump tooth removed. I was pleasantly surprised to be offered the option of either a denture or a maryland bridge to occupy the resulting two tooth gap.Now need to decide which option to choose.