We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Selling Car In These times
happyhacker
Posts: 54 Forumite
I have a newish honda and want to sell it. Is it better to do this privately say via Ebay or go to a dealer? Just looking for others experiences and how they did it. thanks.
0
Comments
-
Ebay you pay fees.
Marketplace and sticking a sign in the window is free.
I start with free first and then move to having to pay. So far I've never had to pay to sell a car.1 -
JustAnotherSaver that's remarkable so would you like to share your experience or give pointers to newbies?0
-
The first thing the OP needs to establish before thinking about where to advertise, is what the true market value of the car is.0
-
If you have a "For Sale" sign in the window, the price is the most important thing on the sign.People walking past who might impulse buy it want to know the price, most won't bother to 'phone, and most of the ones who do will waste your time asking and then putting the 'phone down.I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....
(except air quality and Medical Science
)1 -
How newish?Being realistic, no-one buys anything more than about £5-10k in 'cash' as they want finance and warranty, so you're most likely going to need to sell it to a dealer. First port of call would be your nearest Honda dealer, then the car buying services.1
-
facade said:If you have a "For Sale" sign in the window, the price is the most important thing on the sign.Exactly this!I've seen many cars road side that I would've been interested in but the advert said..."FOR SALE ... call 07.........."Well hows about no I don't if you can't be bothered to give me any info about it. If i see the price and it ticks the box then i'll go over and see what the rest says. If it doesn't then it doesn't matter what the rest says. It's as quick and easy as that.1
-
Nah - ebay marketplace fine £9.99 or whatever it is. Dealer last resort you will get raped. I have sold many cars on ebay 27995 and 35850 were the last two.
Do a valuation then compare to other privates and dealer prices and come up with something priced to market.Be patient and keep pics very standard like passport style
0 -
Especially if it really is "newish". It's the sort of thing that people will look at and go "Why isn't it in the manufacturer approved-used? Did they reject it for some reason...?"Herzlos said:How newish?Being realistic, no-one buys anything more than about £5-10k in 'cash' as they want finance and warranty, so you're most likely going to need to sell it to a dealer. First port of call would be your nearest Honda dealer, then the car buying services.0 -
Gumtree or FB marketplace, I’ve used to buy and sell cars privately. However I agree that “newish” might struggle to sell on here. Dealers might offer you a better price than WBAC etc. Maybe make a few phone calls to Honda dealers in your area?.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards