We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

ULEZ

Hi all.
According to the TFL adverts we should use their Ulez checker to see if our cars are compliant. When buying a car last year I used the checker to ensure I chose a car (used) that complied. I checked this numerous times before settling on a particular car. I purchased it in Feb last year and very happy. Recently I visited central London and before I travelled I thought I would check again, to my surprise it's now listed as non compliant.
I have proof as I screen shorted the page.
Do I have any comeback as I now have a car that I cannot use in central London.

Comments

  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Comeback against who?

    What age of car is it?
    What fuel?
    Does it state a Euro emission level on the V5C (upper half of the LH column on p2, just above "D3 model")?
    What NOx figure does it give (V3, lower right column p2)?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,742 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    How often do you drive into central London, or the soon to be expanded ULEZ zone?  If it is only once a year, your losses are really minimal.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    richlew said:
    Hi all.
    According to the TFL adverts we should use their Ulez checker to see if our cars are compliant. When buying a car last year I used the checker to ensure I chose a car (used) that complied. I checked this numerous times before settling on a particular car. I purchased it in Feb last year and very happy. Recently I visited central London and before I travelled I thought I would check again, to my surprise it's now listed as non compliant.
    I have proof as I screen shorted the page.
    Do I have any comeback as I now have a car that I cannot use in central London.
    Sounds like you have a good case, especially with the screenshots.

    What is the car (petrol/diesel?) and how old is it?
  • Did you buy the car on the expectation that it would be ULEZ compliant? Did the sales team say it would be (and put it in writing)?
    Did TfL change the classification thus meaning it was not the manufacturer's fault?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Did TfL change the classification thus meaning it was not the manufacturer's fault?
    TFL haven't changed the classification - Euro4 petrol, Euro6 diesel.

    What they did do was tighten some of the assumptions and correct some of the inaccuracies where pre-Euro4 petrols and pre-Euro6 diesels were being given false green lights.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.