Role been put at risk - questions about redundancy

Lifes_Grand_Plan
Lifes_Grand_Plan Posts: 1,083
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
Forumite
edited 7 January 2021 at 11:39AM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Hi everyone,
I was advised yesterday that my role had been put at risk and there would be a consultation - worrying times ahead trying to pay the bills and find a new job with the current state of the country.

Anyway my question please is - my contractual notice period for me to leave is (I think) 3 months. Would that be the same for them if I am made redundant i.e. would I work three months and then be paid redundancy at the end of it? Or would it just be the statutory notice period of 1 week for every year of service (5 years service).

As an aside - the company offered a voluntary severance scheme at an enhanced rate about a year ago and I asked for my figures but didn't receive them. One tactic I may use if it comes to redundancy is to ask for them to let me leave under VSS to receive that enhanced rate, rather than through redundancy. Unlikely I guess but presumably that protects them if I leave voluntarily as I then have no comeback for unfair dismissal etc? But my question on this is are there any risks to me from leaving voluntarily rather than through redundancy?

TIA

A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.

Comments

• Hi everyone,
    I was advised yesterday that my role had been put at risk and there would be a consultation - worrying times ahead trying to pay the bills and find a new job with the current state of the country.
    Anyway my question please is - my contractual notice period for me to leave is (I think) 3 months. Would that be the same for them if I am made redundant i.e. would I work three months and then be paid redundancy at the end of it? Or would it just be the statutory notice period of 1 week for every year of service (5 years service).
    TIA

If your contractual notice period is 3 months then that doesn't change with dismissal on the grounds of redundancy.  However it does not mean that you would actually be required to work the full notice period: they could make a payment in lieu of notice.  If you would have completed 6 years service during the notice period which is being "bought out" by the PILON then any redundancy payment would be based on the five years rather than six years.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,
    TIA

If your contractual notice period is 3 months then that doesn't change with dismissal on the grounds of redundancy.  However it does not mean that you would actually be required to work the full notice period: they could make a payment in lieu of notice.  If you would have completed 6 years service during the notice period which is being "bought out" by the PILON then any redundancy payment would be based on the five years rather than six years.
    IN a full contractual PILON situation ONLY statutory notice gets added for the redundancy service not full contractual notice.

From date of notice it is statutory notice or termination date that is used for redundancy whichever is the latest date.
  • ChilliBob
    ChilliBob Posts: 2,041
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you have no gripes with being made redundant and the other agreement is more beneficial to you then I'd go for that. Essentially you're getting any extra benefit in exchange for you waving your rights to unfair dismissal etc. 
  • avawat20
    avawat20 Posts: 159
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Your notice and their notice will be different - at least statutory but check your contract. Usually a week for each years service up to 12 years (max 12 weeks).

You can voluntarily leave by resigning...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback