🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

UPS charging import duty

Options
2»

Comments

• JoanneN
    Options
    I ordered a gold necklace from USA  costing $378 and they charged $50 for shipping.  (£313.96 total in pounds)
    It was running late due to their Covid mandate in LA and manufacturing problems so it was not received in time for the birthday gift as intended.
    However, UPS now inform me that my parcel is at Stanstead Airport and they won't deliver it until I pay £96.18
    This is made up of £84.69 Government charges and £11.40 UPS brokerage.
    This is extortionate and around a third of the price of the necklace itself.
    Any advice appreciated - is this normal? Do I have to pay this brokerage.
    Why do I pay for delivery twice - I already paid the jewellery company $50.
     I looked on UPS and this seems to be the price for express delivery which I clearly have not had.
    Help!

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JoanneN said:
    I ordered a gold necklace from USA  costing $378 and they charged $50 for shipping.  (£313.96 total in pounds)
    It was running late due to their Covid mandate in LA and manufacturing problems so it was not received in time for the birthday gift as intended.
    However, UPS now inform me that my parcel is at Stanstead Airport and they won't deliver it until I pay £96.18
    This is made up of £84.69 Government charges and £11.40 UPS brokerage.
    This is extortionate and around a third of the price of the necklace itself.
    Any advice appreciated - is this normal? Do I have to pay this brokerage.
    Why do I pay for delivery twice - I already paid the jewellery company $50.
     I looked on UPS and this seems to be the price for express delivery which I clearly have not had.
    Help!

It is normal.  You are liable for customs charges which UPS have paid on your behalf.  They are passing those on with their administrative costs of £11.40.  It's nothing to do with delivery charges and nor is it extortionate, this is a customs charge for which you as the consumer are responsible.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 January 2021 at 3:08PM
    Options
    It's not a delivery charge - it is duty and VAT, plus the service charge UPS make for handling those import payment charges for you.

• mattyprice4004
    Options
    As above, you are paying for duty, VAT and the UPS charge is for handling the import, not delivery.
    This is 101 when ordering online from abroad, if you order anything of value from outside of the UK you WILL usually have to pay the three charges above. If you're not happy with this, order from a UK company.
  • Jamespearce86
    Options
    Hey everyone, I've been desperately trying to find some help regarding a UPS duty issue and stumbled across this post (hope you don't mind me tagging on!)!
    I sent a faulty product back to Thomann in Germany, and they assured me that the returning goods would be marked as a replacement for the goods sent back and I wouldn't be charged Tax. 
    Sure enough, I've been asked to pay duties by UPS on the replacement item and Thomann basically refused to speak to USP about it, saying I would need to pay the tax and claim for a refund?! Am I best off just not paying it and hoping it gets delivered like the example here? 
    I've also emailed/tweeted UPS but have yet to hear anything back from them yet. Anyone come across this issue yet? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure