We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can I Prevent an Insurance Write-off?

2»

Comments

  • es5595
    es5595 Posts: 389 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Thank you. I’ve got motorbike as well and do ~3000 miles a year in the car so I think a classic car agreed value is what I’m looking for. 
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,647 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Have I missed it but what is the car ? I have always gone for a full and final settlement which tends to work well but not always.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    es5595 said:
    Thank you. I’ve got motorbike as well and do ~3000 miles a year in the car so I think a classic car agreed value is what I’m looking for. 
    Make sure it includes salvage rights.

    But, even so, if it's Cat A or B, it's gone.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Old, well kept, mass market cars are a total mare from a valuation perspective. 

    Look on Autotrader or carandclassic and you'll see huge variations in asking prices. 

    Practical Classics magazine produces some sort of price guide but it's not especially useful. 

    You can't prevent a car being written off, but an agreed value policy will at least let you know at what value it is likely to be written off, in case the worst should happen. 

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.