Totally bemused re roof repair

Options
I have a damp patch on my spare bedroom ceiling . No actual leak as yet.  Phoned two local roofers who have given me two vastly different outcomes. They both agree all roof tiles are intact and perfect. 
Roofer one - went on roof and inside loft. Thinks problem May Beverly the apron round vent needs replacing. Quote around £150. 
Roofer two sent drone up. Says roofing felt has probably perished. Needs to take 1st row off and replace which is equivalent to 4 rows of roof tiles. Quote around £1500

Any advice would be brilliant. 

Thanks 

Comments

• bailey_uk
    bailey_uk Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a picture of the damp?
    is the vent a pipe?
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it were me (not knowing the full details of the problem of course) I would pay  roofer1 £150, if it fixes the problem then you have saved £1350, if it doesn't solve the problem you have only lost £150.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    MoneyWorry said: Roofer two sent drone up. Says roofing felt has probably perished. Needs to take 1st row off and replace which is equivalent to 4 rows of roof tiles. Quote around £1500
    It is the tiles providing a waterproof barrier to any rain. The felt is there purely as a secondary layer should there be a problem with a tile slipping - Much of the time, it is a breathable membrane, and not waterproof. Being hidden under the tiles, you wouldn't be able to judge the state of it just by flying a drone across the roof.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Heyyouguys
    Options
    Good feedback from @FreeBear and @rubble2 .
    - No point paying a lot more for something that may not solve the issue, best to try the cheaper one first and see if that solves it. Also if the roofer has been up into the loft, they may have been able to see the water trail and where it has come from.
    - Re roofer 2, it seems odd that they would be able to externally identify the source of a leak without even getting close to the tiles. Sometimes they can even go up on the roof and still not identify the source of the leak due to the various routes the water can take before it hits the ceiling. 
  • fenwick458
    fenwick458 Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    surely if the second guy sent a drone up , then came to conclusion that the felt might be perished, the logical thing to do is go in the loft and see what the felt is like? can you just poke your finger through it, or is it all in tact and looking good?
    I've never viewed drone footage of a roof before, but can't imagine it being all that good. you really need to look at the roof and in the loft to find out whats going on

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback