We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How much to live on

1…5657596162…396

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,815 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Think the problem is i daren't dib into any investment income as i originally intended as a top up because the markets are so up & down . even within a safe withdrawal limit
    I don't know your investment strategy or long-term plans, but the FTSE100 is up 15% on the year. If you're not going to dip into your investments when the markets are doing that well, when exactly will you?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 November 2021 at 5:46AM
    To add to my previous post you would not be paying tax as £9000 per year until 66/67 would be coming from savings. As I said above just my opinion. Always take advice from those qualified to give it should you feel it necessary.
  • Good to see that this thread is up and running again.  Even though I'm 47 with a view retiring at 60 with a DB pension, I still find this thread very informative - and more reassuring, and a lot of the figures on here are similar to mine!
  • Hi all, this is my favourite thread too.

    Me and hubby have just seen a financial advisor to do a review and help with pension decisions.

    The conclusion was that we need £20,800 pa to live on, this includes all bills, food, spending money, running one car, an American holiday every other year (4 times in total), house repairs and a contingency pot.

    Hubby has already retired and I've got about another 18 months left to make it all do-able.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
  • @PennyForThem_2 I only budget based on my income and subsequently worked out a retirement for 2 on 1 pension, that way it's not a hardship.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear 31/12/2029.
  • What worries me with this thread is that most of you are couples and relying on a couples' income.  Have any of you thought about when one of you dies?  What then?  Has the survivor got enough to live on?

    (Been there, done that which is why I ask this question.)
    Yes, we have worked that in to our figures, it’s definitely the best way I think. 
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
  • What worries me with this thread is that most of you are couples and relying on a couples' income.  Have any of you thought about when one of you dies?  What then?  Has the survivor got enough to live on?

    (Been there, done that which is why I ask this question.)
    Unfortunately I am in that position now.
    My wife is very ill. After Xmas we will have to sort out possible I'll health retirement etc. I know this will adversely affect retirement plans. It's difficult when your in the middle of it to sit with a calculator and go through the maths.
    Short term , with the loss of her income I may have to work harder for longer (small price on my part to pay).
     But I think your right, we avoid contemplating the what if.
  • My wife applied for ill health pension within the NHS and was turned down initially, but was successful on appeal. So be persistent if you get any knock backs. Good luck 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.