Sky+ Box - Will it work with Freeview and play old Sky recordings?

Thinking about cancelling Sky in the new year. Will the Sky+ box still work and have the old programmes I have recorded? Does it need to be FreeSat rather than Freeview (tv wire). Can I record stuff on it from Freeview/Freesat?

Just wondering whether it is worth keeping the Sky+ box when I cancel Sky and how useful it is. Interested to hear what others have done and any success they have found.

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I believe (from reading on here) that whilst you can watch the free Sat channels, you cannot record or playback already recorded programmes without a subscription.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thinking about cancelling Sky in the new year. Will the Sky+ box still work and have the old programmes I have recorded? Does it need to be FreeSat rather than Freeview (tv wire). Can I record stuff on it from Freeview/Freesat?

Just wondering whether it is worth keeping the Sky+ box when I cancel Sky and how useful it is. Interested to hear what others have done and any success they have found.

The Sky+ box will become a Freesat from Sky box.  You'll get all the free channels, the BBC, ITV, a load of others but that's all it will do.  No on-demand, no catch-up, no premium channels.  On the positive side you will get more channels than you would through Freesat, but realistically whether that's worth it is another matter.
    You cannot view or make any recordings without an active Sky subscription.  Even free-to-air channels.  The programs will remain on your planner.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Just to add, Sky will allow you to have the ability to record if you pay them £10 per month.
  • jsmith9
    jsmith9 Posts: 419 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    or you can replace it with a humax freesat pvr
  • Freesat from SKY works fine, the biggest thing I missed when I had it for a while was the ability to pause live TV for a comfort break.

• jsmith9
    First Post Name Dropper
    Yes you cannot pause or rewind or record programmes - basically the hard drive in the Sky box will be disabled
  • Can you get Freeview with a Sky+ box when used in a house with no satellite attached?
  • jsmith9
    First Post Name Dropper
    no it has a satellite tuner not a freeview tuner. it needs to be connected to a satellite dish.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Can you get Freeview with a Sky+ box when used in a house with no satellite attached?
    No.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure