Becoming a Small Business - Missed requirements?

I run a small business under the £1000 threshold but I now want to become a business and self employed.

is there anything I need to watch out for?  My business is printing only, small purchases with no contracts and if I do get bulk orders, they are outsourced, no copyright infringement in my designs, I don’t keep customers details as it is only orders placed, no customers visit me so I’m hoping I dont need any fancy insurances.

from what I see, I just need to fill out a form to become self employed and then keep records of my income/outgoings but I don’t seem to see any hidden elements I might need.

is there anything else I need to think about?

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,205 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    LauraB83 said:
    I don’t keep customers details as it is only orders placed,

You must be keeping customers' data as you will have names, addresseses, email and phone numbers even if you don't receive more sensitive information such as card details.  I think you would be wise to register and pay your annual fee here

• martindow said:
    LauraB83 said:

You must be keeping customers' data as you will have names, addresseses, email and phone numbers even if you don't receive more sensitive information such as card details.  I think you would be wise to register and pay your annual fee her

Thanks so much.
    I had used ICO in the past when I had my own website because I was recording details for order information but I guess I forgot that even though my business is coming from Etsy and other market places that it would still fall under this requirement 🤦‍♀️
  • martindow said:
    LauraB83 said:

You must be keeping customers' data as you will have names, addresseses, email and phone numbers even if you don't receive more sensitive information such as card details.  I think you would be wise to register and pay your annual fee here
    I’m back - I’ve gone through the questionnaire and apparently I “don’t” have to pay a fee.
    any information on orders I get are taken from sites such as Etsy and Shopify and I don’t record any details except amounts for the self assessment.
    guessing - for now - I’m safe to miss out ICO until I get my own website and then I will need to register.

as for insurance - many illustrators I’m speaking with “don’t” have insurance as we aren’t doing any home visits, contracts and keeping our systems safe.
    Im not holding my breath but I may be able to avoid paying out large sums this year because many of my services are restricted to online and premade designs only 😅
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback