Soft searches showing fraudulent ID use

Having checked my Clearscore yesterday it’s become apparent that this year two online gambling agencies have conducted soft searches which have shown up on my credit file. I have never used any online gambling site in my life, we are lucky if I remember to buy a lottery ticket from the local shop, that’s how little gambling features on my radar so I know these searches are nothing to do with me.

Also, the searches have been carried out in a previous name which has been dead and buried for several years. I have spoken to both gambling agencies who have confirmed they have activities linked to my old details and have agreed to halt any activity relating to my address.

I spoke to the local Police force who sent me to Action Fraud however AF aren’t interested because I haven’t actually become a victim and lost any funds. I have also emailed Clearscore to request the searches be removed from my file due to possible fraudulent use, they have not yet come back to me. I understand that a soft search has no bearing on my credit score which is currently in good shape, I would like to keep it that way so is there anyone else I need to contact or anything I need to do in order to protect myself please?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Inaction fraud are about as much use as a chocolate teapot, so you end up with the usual answer. Your suspected crime is not recorded!

As for your credit report, it is a made up number based on fairy dust and the constellation Ursa minor. It is actually your credit agreements you need to keep an eye on, to ensure these are accurate. Any added agreement would be to worry about. I have so called searched on my file by agencies every so often. I don't worry about them, especially is the pub is open and I quaff wobbleade!
  • Skintski
    Skintski Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 December 2020 at 8:41PM
    Thanks for coming back to me. I’m less worried about my credit report but more worried that someone obviously has my previous details. Since I know nothing about gambling sites I’m wondering what kind of evidence they would requested from the individual before doing a search on my details? 
  • ilikewatch2
    ilikewatch2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 December 2020 at 7:22AM
    Assuming that the searches were for identification/anti-money laundering checks, then no "evidence" would be required - the subject would enter a name, address and date of birth, then the gambling site would seek verification from the CRA that this person existed.

My concern would be that gambling sites, whilst easy to sign up with, make it notoriously difficult for punters to access any winnings. I'm not sure why someone would bother to sign up to a gambling website using someone else's name unless they also had a bank account in that name to withdraw any winnings to.

One other innocent explanation is that this is simply an error - if your previous name was very common (Sarah Green, John Smith etc.) and someone with the same name has moved in at one of your previous addresses, then their searches could have been mistakenly recorded on your file. I know this shouldn't be possible with different dates of birth etc. but it does happen.

If I were you I would prioritise checking (for free) what information the other CRA's (Experian and Transunion) hold for you: 
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report/
  • I have a couple of accounts with Paddy Power and William Hill for the occasional Grand National bet, uploading funds and taking out winnings is extremely easy
  • ilikewatch2
    ilikewatch2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 December 2020 at 1:33PM
    In recent years I've opened a couple of new gambling accounts and each has made me jump through hoops to make my first withdrawal - after that it's been easy enough.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback