Mixed summer/all season tyres allowed on car?

Options
2»

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    neilmcl said:
    What car is it, and what part of the country do you live?

Unless there something wrong with the tyres I personally wouldn't change a set of rears with 4mm still on them, yes they're not going to be as good as a new pair of tyres in the wet for example but there's still enough life in them yet. Easily enough for you to get to a point where you'd consider changing all 4.

2003 focus in London. The tyre with 4mm tread is a bit older than the 6mm (it only has more tread because it was put on 3 years ago as opposed to the other one which was put on 7 years ago). I know some people change tyres quite often, I dont know how I managed to get so much life out of them. I drive the car around 10K miles a year - so it's no supermarket runs.
    The nearside 4mm has 2 puncture repairs done on it, so I think on the next puncture it will require a replacement. I'd rather change it per axle than just replace that tyre alone. I would rather move to all seasons given my circumstances so it's good that I'm able to change to all seasons in stages, not require change all at once.

I'd definitely recommend replacing tyres in pairs but really no urgent need given where you live in the country, it's not as if you spend your time driving around country roads in the middle of nowhere. Save your money and wait until you really need to replace them. Also I probably wouldn't consider all seasons either given your location.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback