We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Severe Mental Inpairment

Options
What fits the council tax reduction of severe mental impairment?   I have an extensive psychiatric history- Bipolar.  Detained many times- last 2 years ago.   thanks

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,262 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 December 2020 at 2:06AM
    Options
    https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/can-i-claim-welfare-benefits-if-i-m-living-with-a-mental-illness/council-tax-exemptions-and-support-to-pay/

It depends on the long term impact - if you function well between acute episodes then you may not qualify - it’s potentially the difference between someone who holds down a good job and needs little support inbetween hospitalisation, and someone whose cognition is permanently impaired by their illness (just as an example.) 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,491 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 December 2020 at 8:32PM
    Options
    I contacted my late father's GP about his severe dementia, and asked her to write a letter simply stating his (mental) medical condition and that she believed it met the requirements to qualify for a 25% council tax discount whilst living with my mother.

I sent the letter with the application form and not only was it approved but it was backdated to when my father moved into an assisted living facility.

Perhaps something as simple as that might work for you.

I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills