New "Commuting" jacket

Options
Hi guys,

As above. I haven't properly commuted for over ten years but start a new job tomorrow and I'm in the market... the last coat, which I still have and use regularly was a North Face, but I need a refresh D

Waterproof, windproof, comfort are my main requirements.

What's about?

Comments

• rdr
    rdr Posts: 400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How far are you commuting? Cycling or office clothes? style of bike and Riding?
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd be looking at North Face again, Didrickson (my current waterproof cosy winter jacket is a Didrickson) or perhaps Jack Wolfskin - are you walking or cycling as part of your commute? 
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’m assuming you are cycling and aren’t fully kitted out in Lycra. I have a short commute that I do in my work clothes and wear a very old Altura jacket which is still wind proof / waterproof. I like their night vision range with the reflective detailing. 

I think you could do a lot worse than that. 

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,980 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 December 2020 at 12:59AM
    Options
    This is the Public Transport and Cycling board.

It would be good if the OP gave us some clue to whatever mode of transport they are proposing to use.

Train, bus, bike or something else.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Apologies! Right, I'm walking approximately 5k steps (whatever that is in m/km) either way and well as a little bit of walking between buildings during the day.

Thanks.
  • LudaMusser
    Options
    You can’t go wrong with Altura and Endura. Both are exceptional brands, not cheap but you get what you pay for 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can’t go wrong with Altura and Endura. Both are exceptional brands, not cheap but you get what you pay for 
    I know they do MTB jackets which aren't the same fit as road gear but not really the best for someone walking to work

• Archie_Duke
    Options
    I’d be going for Jack Wolfskin if I was buying again. Last one I bought is the best weatherproof coat I’ve ever worn, has a zip-in fleece liner that’s good enough to wear as a separate item. Adjustment cords and tensioners all over it, absolutely brilliant.
    Arch
  • Indigo_and_Violet
    Indigo_and_Violet Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 February 2021 at 11:31AM
    Options
    If it's for walking commute, I really like the Uniqlo Blocktech range. Soft-shell material, withstands the elements but is not obviously 'active wear', smart enough for meetings and comes in a nice range of colours. Lacks pit zips so not ideal for more vigorous riding/running/hiking but great for everyday mobility. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback