I shouldn’t be here yet....

Options
So I don’t actually have a mortgage to pay off.... yet.

but I thought I’d start a thread to track my savings and keep me motivated.

I moved back into my mums for a year so that I could save enough to buy myself a one bedroom flat. Well that was around 3 years ago and I’m still here. Oops.

Changed my mind after the year (even though I managed to clear 4k of debt and save around 12k) and decided I’d save another 10kish and get a 2 bed flat giving me the option of having a lodger. Hit that target around 9-10 months after that... started looking at flats seriously and realised leases are meh and got into a relationship Around the same time I then changed my mind again and decided to keep saving a little while longer and get a 3 bed house a bit further from where I am now but substantially cheaper than where I am now. 

Finally at the start of the year me and the girlfriend booked our house viewing. This was around March time. Yep, COVID hit, girlfriend lost her job (fortunately just after moving in to my mums for “a few months till we get a house)

So now the saving continues until everything settles down and the girlfriend gets secure work.

currently I have:
15k in  lifetime Isa
25k premium bonds

Girlfriend has around:
10k in her bank account. Will be looking into moving this into premium bonds possibly, and opening a lifetime Isa for her (although while she has no regular income it shall remain Empty in case she needs the money)

well done if you got through all my rambling.

Comments

• powerspowers
    Options
    Good luck with the savings and job hunt 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,075 /£3,600

• Walker1
    Walker1 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks powerpowers.

so I finally got round to opening a Lisa for the girlfriend today, only put £1 in so far to start the 1 year countdown to when it can be used. Not sure how long it’s gonna be until we buy now, hoping it’s before the end of next year so we won’t be able to gain from the Lisa .. but if I’m honest I don’t think it’s gonna happen with all this COVID crap going on.

I’ve been saying “I’ll buy next year for 3 years already so 1 more won’t hurt lol
  • Walker1
    Options
    Payday :smile: 

Had a surprisingly good month even though it’s December. I did spend a little more on presents than I’d planned but worked for a few days at a farm Christmas shop during the month which covered a lot of the extra spending. 

As eager as I am to add my leftover money to my savings total I won’t yet. I’ve put the wages I just received into a separate pot until the 25th which is when I should actually get paid, then I’ll dump all the left over money into premium bonds and start spending next months wages. Hopefully January won’t feel like such a long month then.
  • Walker1
    Options
    Decided to play around the other my accounts today as I don’t plan on spending anything and will save getting a hard time from the girlfriend for doing it in Christmas Day.

This month I’ve saved £1400. Really don’t know how I’ve managed it but I’m not complaining. 

Will be adding that to premium bonds in a minute as I really don’t think there’s a better alternative right now. 

• Walker1
    Options
    “Don’t plan on spending anything” 

managed to spend nearly £100 by midnight.
  • Walker1
    Options
    Hope everyone had a grea Christmas!

had a lovely day myself, considering we’re currently in level 4.

got bored around 1300 and decided fix something in my car that’s been playing up for months. Only worked out what it was a few days ago. Was quoted £60 labour, done it myself in around 45-60 minutes. And for once managed to fix something without braking something else.

Probably spent £20 on bits that the garage would have supplied (carb cleaner, penetrating spray, torx sockets etc) but loads left and will be used for more jobs in the future. 

Whilst my confidence has been boosted I’ve ordered some discs, pads and bulbs and am gonna have a go at changing front brakes and doing a full flush of the system. Total cost of bits was £55... I have no idea what a garage would charge but I suspect it’s a lot more than that.... although I feel like im gonna need a trolley jack to make my life a lot easier and it feels like a good thing to spend my Christmas money from parents on.
  • Walker1
    Options
    Another payday nearly here :smile:

seems like forever since last pay day.

had another good month in terms of savings.

Received a random £70 interest payment from an account I cleared out around 6 months ago. Had no idea it was coming so was a nice surprise. 

Also had £106 refund from Ryanair for a flight I had booked in July! 

Haven’t fully rounded up all the money and put it into premium bonds yet, will most likely do it on Monday when I get paid. 

But looking to be around £1600 to add.

• Walker1
    Options
    Haven’t got round to updating this recently. 

Not been paying all that much attention to how much I’ve been saving, just trying to save as much as possible.

added everything up tonight and am now bang on £49k

Im actually shocked I’ve managed 9k since I opened this thread around 4 months ago.

the gf still has around the same as when I opened the thread. But considering she was out of work for a few months (is working full time now) I don’t think that’s too bad.
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That’s fantastic! Do you have a target in mind? 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,075 /£3,600

• Walker1
    Options
    That’s fantastic! Do you have a target in mind? 
    Thanks!

no not really if I’m honest. Started as a target of around £12k several years ago but keeps changing lol.

we’re now looking at houses around 180-200k and would need roughly 20k deposit, so we’re wellll over what we need. But due to the gf getting laid off and me being on furlough for nearly the whole year it’s just not possible to get a mortgage right now.

so we’re just making the most of staying at my mums house and putting away every £ that we can. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback