Confused re: sudden change in eligability

JBL2000
JBL2000 Posts: 14 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hey Everyone,
Looking for some understanding as to why my preferred lender would make such a decision as to brand me unlikely to get a loan. I don't really understand why and would like some potential insight into why.
So the long story short is that I have been with same bank over a decade. Approx 18 months ago I took a loan for £12,000. It was over 36 months but I paid it off in just over a year and a half. They made a boo-boo and didnt close the account properly (I owed £23 but they took £330 etc etc). I also closed my credit card months ago so literally, now my only debt is an iphone over 24 months and the mortgage. I also have ~ 6 months expenses cash in the bank and work at an incredibly stable company.
Whilst I had that loan they were happy to loan me up to 40K at 2.3%. Now the loan is paid back they are not interested in loaning me money. I dont really need to borrow the money but I would like to understand why it literally changed so much in 2 months, when no other things have changed.

Surely, if anything, it makes me a better risk? As I say, i am not bothered as such, just interested to understand as to the potential why.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They just dont want to lend to you simple as.
    Maybe its because they didn't make money off you as you cleared the loan off in 18 months. They can choose who they lend to.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    May not be anything to do with you being a bad risk, or even a good risk for that matter.

Banks have massively tightened the availability of money across the board.  Part of that means less promotion of "guaranteed" loans.  With or without the marketing, what you would actually be able to borrow is very similar to what it was, but you don't actually want to borrow so why does it matter?
  • The reason it matters is mortgage fixed rate comes to an end in 3 months :disappointed:  Other than that I just find it odd that lterally 16 days make so much difference!
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Irrespective of score, have you checked your credit file that there is no erroneous data?
    Stability will help over the next 3 months to get the mortgage deal.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Closing your credit card account didn't help. Lenders like to see a record of credit being used and repaid regularly on schedule, and you now have a limited history.
    Do you have no other credit accounts, such as household utilities?
    On the electoral roll?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • JBL2000 said:
    The reason it matters is mortgage fixed rate comes to an end in 3 months :disappointed:  Other than that I just find it odd that lterally 16 days make so much difference!
    What does not being offered a loan have anything to do with your mortgage fixed rate ending? 
  • JBL2000 said:
    The reason it matters is mortgage fixed rate comes to an end in 3 months :disappointed:  Other than that I just find it odd that lterally 16 days make so much difference!
    What does not being offered a loan have anything to do with your mortgage fixed rate ending? 

Hi, I was thinking it will have an impact because they are both with same lender and also if I cant get a loan, what does that say about getting a mortgage, that was all.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,840 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 December 2020 at 4:12PM
    Banks are there for their benefit, not for yours, loans and mortgages are two entirely different products, you paying your loan off early, may have added a little star, next to your name on their internal records, as this action has cost them money, money they didn`t make in interest from you.
    Now it was probebly not that much, but multiply that figure across their loan book, so that if everyone paid there loans early, it would cause the bank a significant loss in profits.
    They may just remember this the next time you apply for a loan, its better for them to loan to those who repay in full, over the full term, rather than those who settle early.
    Now it might not be applied every time, or even at all, but banks have ways of whittling out those who cost them money, and those that make money for them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    You can apply for your mortgage renewal six months in advance I think. 
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    JBL2000 said:

Whilst I had that loan they were happy to loan me up to 40K at 2.3%. 

Did you actually apply?  Or was it the marketing spin that says potentially in the small print. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback