Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Making changes 2021

It's an early payday today. As it's technically the money for next month, I feel as if today is the start of the new year, so I'm starting a new diary :smile: I know 2021 will bring some changes to my life, and I'm hoping they're for the best. In the meantime, I need to be saving as much as possible. I'm finding it a bit difficult to motivate myself without a proper target; when I was paying off debt there was a set amount I needed to pay back, but for saving I just don't know how much is enough. For now, I'm going to take it month at a time, so I've worked out my budget, given myself an amount to spend and moved the rest into my savings account. So here starts (a bit early) 2021 :smiley:

Replies

• BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    949 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck makingmehappy.  I agree it is somehow "easier" to pay back debt rather than save,  I don't mean to downplay how hard it is to pay back debt - I've been there and done that and it is bloomin hard but for me saving seems more optional and unlike debt repayments missing a saving payment can feel like it has no repercussions.  However, of course not saving that money impacts on our future plans.  Over the last year I've set myself mini targets - such as how quickly can I save £1000? and I drew myself a 10x10 grid and coloured a square in each time I saved £10 😇.  Not a sophisticated approach but it motivated me.  
    Moving money to savings straight after payday aka "pay yourself first" is a great technique. 

• makingmehappymakingmehappy Forumite
    112 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Oh gosh, a month since I was last here in this diary. I've come back to set myself some targets for the next few months until Easter. I need to feel that something is actually getting better :neutral:
    So, until Easter I want to move forward in the following areas.
    Me - I want to lose weight, trying for 1 stone by Easter. Also, generally improve fitness and appearance.
    Work - get to grips with the new way of working and technology. Do some training for maybe a different job in the future and sort out my cv.
    Home- full and complete declutter, deep clean and decorating touch-ups, to be ready to move if something comes up.
    Money - keep making and saving money as much as I can.
    I think that's enough to keep me busy for the time being :smiley:

112 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    I'm trying to move ahead with some of the things I want to make changes in, but it's moving very, very slowly. The days just seem to be melting one into another at the moment. I don't know if it's the weather or lockdown, but I seem to have got very lazy at the moment, and just want to curl up on the settee and watch mindless tv. So, I need to set some small targets, I think.
    I joined weightwatchers last week, and have lost my first pound since the start of the year. I didn't think I was eating too much, but now I've started tracking I can see where I was snacking a bit too much and my portions were just a little bit too big. It's 3 months free and then three months to pay, so a longer term aim is to be down to the right weight by the end of the 6 months. That would be the first time for a long time :) There seems to be a lot of online stuff going on with the WW app, such as live meetings, exercise sessions and cookalongs, so I'm still working my way through it. 
    112 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    New new year's resolution is to update this diary more often! I need to keep myself much more accountable than has been happening. 
    I'm in the process of moving much closer to my parents. It wasn't my original plan, and I still want to move to the coast in the longer term, but it's what needs to happen at the moment. I'm concentrating on clearing my current place at the moment so that I can move quckly when everything's finalised. Having a deadline for a declutter is very motivating :smiley:
    Diet and getting fit has totally gone out of the window at the moment, but I suppose all the cleaning is exercise :smile:
    I'm still needing to concentrate on work and keeping up with things which are just constantly changing. I need to make a to-do list for this to keep me on track, keep up with all the changes and just help me feel more confident with what's going on.
    I'm going to have a closer look and the money situation and report back later.
    112 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Again, it's been a while, but in my defence I've moved home in the meantime. It's all been a bit stressful, moving on my own and in the middle of a pandemic. I ran out of time for packing in the end and just threw stuff into boxes and bags, so the decluttering still continues. 

Finances have been in a bit of a muddle with the move. Also, lots of stress eating and drinking, so extra £s spent and extra lbs gained. For the next 2 or 3 months I need to concentrate on reining in the spending and upping the money making.

Have to go and get ready for work now, from home today but some days this week back in the building, so lots to do to get ready for that.

Have a good day anyone reading :smile:

112 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    I feel as if I haven't had a minute to myself recently. My mum's not well, so I've spent a lot of time there. Work's manic at the moment, and I've now got a long commute on the days I'm back in the building. There's loads of stuff still to do about the move, and I can't find anything. I'm just trying to get through next week and hopefully the extra day at the weekend will give me some time to get back on track.

Money wise, I've decided to put all spending money onto a separate card and just leave my bank account for bills only.  I do have a credit card that I'm using to improve my credit report, and show I'm finally responsible! I've just put some regular bills on that and set up a dd to pay it in full every month. The other card will have spending money and any extra money that I make from surveys etc. I've also got quite a lot of vouchers and gift cards, mostly from saving with a Christmas site, and I really need to use these in case the dates run out or the companies go bust. I need to go through all the online sites I buy from and delete all other cards - I'm a bit guilty of just using whatever card is there because it's quicker.

Honestly, I think that's the only extra job I can give myself this week. At the moment, my priorities have to be looking after my parents and trying to keep up at work, and that's just about using all my energy. Roll on next weekend :weary:
  • edited 6 May at 4:09PM
    makingmehappymakingmehappy Forumite
    112 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 6 May at 4:09PM
    I've been feeling really stressed and exhausted recently, so I've taken some time for myself the last few days. I have popped in to to see my parents and done a few small jobs, but mostly I've had a rest and caught up with a few of my own things. I went to a local town on Saturday and just had a stroll round and a look in the charity shops.  I treated myself to some new-to-me clothes £7.50 total. It was so nice to have a normalish afternoon shopping.

Jobs for the week (amongst other things):

submit g/e meter readings
    go to local credit union to show ID and finish application for a savings account
    finish one lot of online training for work 
    carry on changing address in different places
    track spending
    shred a pile of paper

112 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    A month later and I still feel the same, and I'm not really getting anything done. I am saving, but more by luck than design, and I'm feeling completely disorganised. I'm really hating my job at the moment, which is depressing as I used to love it. I also don't know if it's just the current Covid thing, or if I've really come to the end and I should leave before I start making a mess of things or really make myself sick. I keep modelling different scenarios, but I can't see a way out as I just don't have enough money at the moment. So, focussed money-making and saving is essential to give me more options.
    So, priorities are doing stuff for parents, keeping on top of work things and looking after my own mental and physical health, so that I can cope until I get some holiday in July. Then moneymaking/saving and to do list.
    • go to local credit union to show ID and finish application for a savings account
    • find and read water meter
    • carry on changing address in different places
    • track spending
    • make £10 a day
    • shred a pile of paper

• Sunshine_girl2Sunshine_girl2 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hi hi making me happy, 

Moving is very stressful especially on your own , plus not liking your job doesn't help either . If it was me I would concentrate on getting my home sorted first then at least that is one less stress , then you can start thinking about your work situation. Why don't you break things down into small lists under headings ie house , job , etc and just do one a day. 
    It sounds like you are on the way to sorting your savings so that's a start. 
    Enjoy the lovely weather . 
    Debt free April 26th 2021

112 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Hi Sunshine-girl, thank you, you've given me some very helpful ideas. Congratulations on debt freedom :smile: