Is it legal?

Options
I have just applied for a new Mastercard with Bank of Scotland with 0% on balance transfers for 12 months.

Phoned them today to transfer the balance from my MBNA card only to be told that they do not accept balance transfers from MBNA???

Has anyone else had this problem? How do I ensure that if I apply for another credit card with 0% on balance transfers that they will actually accept the transfer from my MBNA card

Comments

• OCDOCD
    OCDOCD Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Legality is not an issue - they can govern their own policies, best bet is to just ask up front if they have any BT restrictions before signing up.
    Seems a strange one though.
  • POSSETTE
    POSSETTE Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Options
    I think i read somewhere on this site,that there are certain banks/institutions that are all under one umbrella,and therefore do not BT.
    I believe Royal Bank Scot and Tesco are affiliated so they wouldnt pay off each others.Have a root through BT section,im sure i read it there about Virgin and someone else.
    Best i can offer!!:p
    TO FINISH LAST, FIRST YOU HAVE TO FINISH....
  • Zebedee69
    Zebedee69 Posts: 1,034 Forumite
    Options
    If your desperate to BT. Why not BT to another card not undertheir umbrella of companies and then BT into you new card account.

The fee's would be fairly expensive for this but if you realy realy need to shift a debt then its probably worth it in the long run.

You could always get another card.....
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm aware that HBos online BT requests from an MBNA card are declined automatically (an anti-stoozing measure perhaps, because the same is, or at least was, true for online BT requests from Egg Money?), but usually a telephone call sorts that out.

A complete longshot, but I believe many of the old HBoS charity card accounts were sold to MBNA.

Possibly the BIN is flagging up that it is/once was a HBoS debt?

That's if the OP's MBNA account is one such account of course?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure