🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Listing Over The Festive Period

Options
Hi all,

So I see there is a £1 fee event for private sellers this weekend.  I've amassed a fair few things I want to get rid of.  

How do you guys go about listing over the festive period?  I don't want to post out until after Xmas now so if I put the items on and they sold, would I be obliged to send the items out soon after?  Also, if I put in the listing I won't be posting out until after Xmas, is that something I can do or not?

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick but I just wanted to get some advice from the more experienced sellers.  I know I could wait for the next £1 fee event but I have some free time this week so can shove it all on.

Thanks and have a great festive period folks x x x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You would need to choose when you dispatch items which is ranged from sane working day to five working days, then the expected delivery date would be reflected from this. 

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    I'm not an experienced seller by any means but I don't believe there is an option for a long enough dispatch period to cover not posting until after Christmas.

You can always draft listings when you have time so they're ready to go for the next event at a better time for posting.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    You could have a long lead time for posting, maybe? Or put the items on a 10-day auction with the starting price at a level you'd be happy to accept if you only had one bidder?

If you put the listing together now, schedule the start time for next week then edit them to "start immediately" during the free listing weekend. I think that would work 🙂 but happy to be corrected
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,344 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can set a long dispatch time up to 30 days on the listing form. However, buyers don’t bother reading that, I have a 3 day dispatch set at the moment and people still ask next day have I posted and when will they get their stuff. The issue is that if they buy even if you have say a 10 day dispatch , they will still be chasing you and if they’d decide to cancel you lose your PayPal fees (assuming you’re not on managed payments. 

The longest I have ever set my dispatch time was 7 days for a holiday, and even then it made me anxious and I tend to close entirely now and just reopen about 4 days or so before I get back. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure