🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ebay Suspension

Options
fsdss
fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I’ve been suspended by Ebay for breaching buyer rules when all I did was return an item that wasn’t the one I ordered. I raised an eBay refund request and then a PayPal one that closed the eBay one. I’ve used their webchat and been told the decision is final with no appeal. I can’t even phone anyone. I’ve been on eBay for 19 years and have 100% feedback in over 780 transactions. 
Has anyone got any advice or experience of this as it seems ridiculous.
Thanks in advance.
Give blood - its free

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You should read another thread that was posted a while back with a long discussion regarding an eBay suspension, I believe that person got his account back. 
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,344 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 December 2020 at 3:28PM
    Options
    fsdss said:
    I’ve been suspended by Ebay for breaching buyer rules when all I did was return an item that wasn’t the one I ordered. I raised an eBay refund request and then a PayPal one that closed the eBay one. I’ve used their webchat and been told the decision is final with no appeal. I can’t even phone anyone. I’ve been on eBay for 19 years and have 100% feedback in over 780 transactions. 
    Has anyone got any advice or experience of this as it seems ridiculous.
    Thanks in advance.
    It is completely unheard of to get suspended indefinitely for a single breach especially as a buyer , what other warnings did you have in place ? 

It is not uncommon for buyers to try a double dip not to defraud but to make sure they get a refund, I've had it done several times to me and have complained about the buyer on each occasion. Usually what happens is both cases are closed so buyer loses out, occasionally eBay will close their case but PayPal will carry on and refund as usual. Even when I had a very abusive buyer who was trying to double dip and had both cases closed he never got suspended and continued trying to buy from me at a later date. 
    Also, if it is a case that too many INRs or returns have been opened then eBay restrict your buyer protection and warn you that you buy at your own risk, I have never come across anyone banned at all. 
    Have you ever sold on the account , have you ever sent an angry message, opened too many returns etc? Has anyone close to you had issues ? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why did you open to cases at the same time? You are undermining Ebay and they got !!!!!! at you, hence no more account.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    bris said:
    Why did you open to cases at the same time? You are undermining Ebay and they got !!!!!! at you, hence no more account.
    We've had plenty of threads when people have opened two cases at once, and all that happens seems to be that neither company takes responsibility because a case is open with the other. If anything each company might be quite pleased to be able to simply absolve themselves of any liability due to a case being open with the other.
  • JetpackVelociraptor
    Options
    OP, when you say you returned an item that wasn't the one you ordered do you mean: a) the seller sent you the wrong item and you returned it, or b) you accidentally returned something completely different to what the seller had sent to you?
    It would still be odd that they suspended you immediately even if that were the case, I have been the seller in a case where I received a return that wasn't the item I'd sold to the buyer and the buyer is still active on the site. But if you did return a different item, and then opened two cases, and you already had some policy violations on your account, that might be it. Basically if you broke a lot of eBay's rules all at once.
    Or it could just be eBay chat not understanding the situation. It is their busiest time of year, so you may find it easier to get hold of someone who will help you later in January. I'd suggest you go do a search through your emails over the past 19 years looking for eBay policy violations to see what else you've had warnings about, it is pretty much unheard of for you to get a suspension for breaking one rule. I think the email saying you're suspended is supposed to tell you what rule it is you've broken.
    I would recommend sending eBay an email asking for clarification and what you can do to get your account reinstated. And try again in January when someone who understands what is going on might have time to look it over for you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure