Payments...how does this work?

Options
Hey,
I've had a credit card with 0% purchase for three months and 0% for transfers for 18 months.

The 3 months ran out October but I forgot and paid for a new mattress in the CC. 

Long story short, if I pay off the amount paid for the mattress before the month is out will this pay this off and I won't be charged interest? Or will this be put toward my general amount owed and I'll pay interest on the amount paid for the mattress? Or will they start charging me interest in the full balance of the card which is what my better half reckons will happen?

Many thanks

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to read the terms and conditions relevant to you. Cards vary. It’s possible that paying money in now will simply reduce the 0% interest balance. If that is the case then you may want to wait until you have a statement, then pay off the mattress. 

You aren’t going to accrue interest on the whole balance, or at least not on any card I know. 
  • QuerulousMoose
    Options
    Thanks Consumerist, thoroughly grateful for your help. Not what I wanted to hear but hey, lesson thoroughly learned on this one! I've only ever used CC's for either purchases within the term or for paying off balances long term, like you said real pity I forgot on this one! 

Thanks again 👍👍👍
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 December 2020 at 10:41PM
    Options
    You will be charged interest on the purchase but any money paid in should reduce the debt at the highest interest rate first (purchases, in your case).
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Thanks Consumerist, thoroughly grateful for your help. Not what I wanted to hear but hey, lesson thoroughly learned on this one! I've only ever used CC's for either purchases within the term or for paying off balances long term, like you said real pity I forgot on this one!
    Sorry QM, but I deleted my original post in order to clarify my meaning. Hope the later post helps.

• dld2s
    dld2s Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    Wait until bill comes in first, then pay money in, they will most likely take it from the % interest bill if you pay before statement
  • stokegal
    stokegal Posts: 933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 December 2020 at 8:41AM
    Options
    You will be charged interest on the purchase but any money paid in should reduce the debt at the highest interest rate first (purchases, in your case).
    Should do however not all lenders work this way. PayPal credit for example do not work this way. I had a 19.9% transaction a 17.9% transaction and 0% transaction and I made a payment of everything but the 0% transaction - PayPal then allocated the payment across all 3 transactions - in PayPal’s case you can call them and ask them to reallocate the payment but it’s shocking that they don’t do this automatically 
    LBM - Oct 2020 - £37500
    Currently - £8409
    77% cleared!
  • Consumerist
    Options
    stokegal said:
    Should do however not all lenders work this way. PayPal credit for example do not work this way. I had a 19.9% transaction a 17.9% transaction and 0% transaction and I made a payment of everything but the 0% transaction - PayPal then allocated the payment across all 3 transactions - in PayPal’s case you can call them and ask them to reallocate the payment but it’s shocking that they don’t do this automatically 
    I am surprised at this approach. I thought that card companies were required by regulations to apply payments to the highest interest rate(s) first. Only where two transaction-types are at the same rate, should any allocation be necessary.
    Have I got that wrong?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback