42 replies 34.2K views
1235»

Replies

• jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    armith said:

Currently the vast majority of people pay the licence fee. Those I know who don't mostly pay far more for Sky/Netflix etc and rely on internet sources for things like news and current affairs. They simply don't pay to watch the BBC - but would often like to watch the occasional thing on terrestrial television.
    I agree with your other points, but this is a bit of a stereotype.   I have just Amazon Prime Video.   It provides a bit more quality programming for £6, so that's half the current Licence Fee.   

I could probably go without it, because there's lots of good stuff on All4 and My5 that I don't have the time to even investigate.

The reason why the abolition of the fee is important, I think, is because that would take away a source of financial and emotional stress from people on low or fragile incomes.   They could have access to genuinely free to view TV via Freeview for the first time, and could then drop in and out of any subscriptions as they wished.
    How do you think Freeview is funded? The license fee pays towards that too.
  • edited 20 January at 7:21PM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 January at 7:21PM
    jon81uk said:
    armith said:

Currently the vast majority of people pay the licence fee. Those I know who don't mostly pay far more for Sky/Netflix etc and rely on internet sources for things like news and current affairs. They simply don't pay to watch the BBC - but would often like to watch the occasional thing on terrestrial television.
    I agree with your other points, but this is a bit of a stereotype.   I have just Amazon Prime Video.   It provides a bit more quality programming for £6, so that's half the current Licence Fee.   

I could probably go without it, because there's lots of good stuff on All4 and My5 that I don't have the time to even investigate.

The reason why the abolition of the fee is important, I think, is because that would take away a source of financial and emotional stress from people on low or fragile incomes.   They could have access to genuinely free to view TV via Freeview for the first time, and could then drop in and out of any subscriptions as they wished.
    How do you think Freeview is funded? The license fee pays towards that too.
    I didn't say it wasn't.   

Technically, it's not funded by the Licence Fee - the BBC pays for the carriage of its channels.
    ex Board Guide