Forum Home» Energy

On a prepayment meter for Gas, wish to switch to standard/smart meter please help

New Post Advanced Search

On a prepayment meter for Gas, wish to switch to standard/smart meter please help

4 replies 41 views
tomp94tomp94 Forumite
174 posts
100 Posts Name Dropper
I have moved into a property which has a prepayment meter for gas. 
I want to switch it to a standard/smart meter so I can pay by direct debit. 
I phoned up the supplier, EDF, who ran a credit check, and they said it was unsuccessful and to try again in 3 months. 
I don't know why. 
I have never missed a payment for anything in my life and have recently become a first time buyer hence trying to sort out the utilities. 
I really don't want to have to wait for 3 months because paying for gas on a prepayment meter and electricity on a smart meter with another supplier is very expensve. 
What else can I do 

Please help 

Replies

• edited 10 December 2020 at 2:08PM
    BedrockFredBedrockFred Forumite
    251 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 10 December 2020 at 2:08PM
    Had this problem years ago the house we moved into had a prepayment gas meter that took 50p's and we could fill the meter with 50p's in a week!! Gas man used to round every week to empty it and we always got most of the 50p's back
    Asked for a standard meter to be fitted and was refused several times the explanation was the debt was to the address
    We did eventually get the meter changed but it took well over 3 months, hopefully things have changed now, keep pestering them and hopefully sense will prevail 
  • welshmoneyloverwelshmoneylover Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Change supplier? Not all utility companies use the same credit checking agency
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • edited 10 December 2020 at 2:20PM
    Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 December 2020 at 2:20PM
    MSE says that EDF don't carry out a credit check.  Maybe MSE knows something we don't - the info is stated to be correct as at 7 October 2022 (sic)httpimagesdigitalspycoukforumsmiliesrolleyesgif
    BTW, make sure you're on the Electoral Roll at your new address, and check your info at the credit rating agencies.
  • tomp94tomp94 Forumite
    174 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Gerry1 said:
    MSE says that EDF don't carry out a credit check.  Maybe MSE knows something we don't - the info is stated to be correct as at 7 October 2022 (sic)httpimagesdigitalspycoukforumsmiliesrolleyesgif
    BTW, make sure you're on the Electoral Roll at your new address, and check your info at the credit rating agencies.
    Thank you. My mistake, the current supplier of Gas ie EON, the electricity is with EDF. I have this afternoon switched to EDF and they have said I'll be asked for a meter reading within 28 days, it's at this point I ask for a standard meter. 

So all i all it's going to work out quite expensive to do this for a couple of months but will hopefully be worth it in the end.