PayPal charges on disused accounts

Options
PayPal charges on disused accounts for the dead.

PayPal have sent correspondence to my address regarding someone who I believe has passed away stating they will be charged £9 on 16th December for not using their account (I guess they should have logged in the day before their death to close the account)
Not much I can do really. But it just goes to show there can be PayPal accounts lodged at your address you don't know about, does this have any credit file implications I wonder?

Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Virtually zero affect on your credit file unless you have the same name and birthdate as the previous
    occupier in which case it may get linked to you.  But they are only taking money left in the dormant
    account. No money then it gets closed, if there is money it gets taken until there is none left and then
    gets closed.

I had a letter addressed to me which is odd because the email i think they refer to got changed to my current
    one many years ago and the account is very much active.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ballisticbrian
    Options
    Something still feels wrong about taking from the dead, when they may have left more prudent instructions had their been annual or extra charges prior to them dying. I mean they've not been able to agree to anything have they?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • KatrinaWaves
    Options
    Something still feels wrong about taking from the dead, when they may have left more prudent instructions had their been annual or extra charges prior to them dying. I mean they've not been able to agree to anything have they?
    The dead dont own anything. The executors of the estate should have sorted their accounts, but probably overlooked paypal. I am sure leaving instructions on clearing out paypal in the event that paypal start charging isnt exactly top of peoples 'bucket list'
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    The dead dont own anything. The executors of the estate should have sorted their accounts, but probably overlooked paypal. I am sure leaving instructions on clearing out paypal in the event that paypal start charging isnt exactly top of peoples 'bucket list'
    That's exactly what my point is. It wouldn't be the top of anyone's bucket list because people don't treat a PayPal account like a bank account but simply as some web site they've used, for some people, maybe once.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the account is not used or an executor does not collect the funds within 12 months are they likely to ever
    access or close the account?

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback