Parcel post overseas

Options
liquoriceleglucy
liquoriceleglucy Posts: 7 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi I avidly read MSE. Read post re parcel post overseas. So followed direction of shoe box  30cm/15/12cm under1kg.  Then .... no perfume ( Sml 30ml had to remove not allowed)  eventually it’s now well under 1kg to Australia. Post office/Royal Mail.  Quoted £9.95 BUT WILL TAKE 42Days!!!!  ie arrive end of January 2021!!!!  So how much air mail  post ? £19.92!!!! It now only had a Xmas bauble and some chocolate! Value not £19!!! So I check out MSE LINKS.... cheapest £36  varied providers up to £64!! What for a shoe box under1kg? Oh please where am I going wrong? 

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,944 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm afraid you need to be much quicker off the mark next year - the last Christmas posting dates for most overseas destinations for cheap delivery via sea is usually sometime in October - for Australia / New Zealand it was 5th October this year for letters via Royal Mail (international Economy) , and 23rd October for Parcels via ParcelForce (global economy). Leave it any later and you'll end up paying for air freight, which as you;ve discovered is considerably more expensive. 
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We have relatives in Oz and generally send them something from/via an online company who deliver there. Just have a look online. I've even sent flowers sometimes - not cheap but cheaper than any of the quotes you've been given just for postage.

As p00hsticks says, you really do have to be much quicker off the mark. When I lived in Oz myself years ago, prior to internet technology, we just sent cards back home because it was just too expensive to send any gifts. 

Oh, and ditch the shoebox, who told you to use that??? Jiffy bags all the way. Shoe boxes weigh heavy when going to Oz. Lightweight stuff - scarves and costume jewellery, maybe - not books as they also weigh a ton. You need to start thinking about this in about July! Truly, that's what we do. And check postal prices online and weigh things before you get to the PO to save yourself a heart attack when told of the cost.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 1,018 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Forumites
    After consideration, we've moved this thread to the Ebay, Auctions etc board - as this is where our resident experts on postage and parcels are likely to be found.
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Auspost is notoriously slow too, so once your parcel arrives it could still face further delays.  I'd be happy to receive, for example, a gift card - that way all the value will be in the gift and not in the postage.  Maybe a Myer Gift Card?  They can be bought online.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback