External storage for tv?

Hello,


I would like to buy an external hard drive to record tv. I have a clash of programs I would love to watch on Sunday; that are unlikely to be repeated (and aren’t on Freeview catch up).  


The LG site sets out the specifications for the device. 


I already have a hard drive for my Mac. I assume because its for a Mac the tv gives no option to format it. 


What would you recommend I buy; and how much should I expect to spend (on no frills budget)? 


Also can anyone explain to why LG specify ‘maximum’ storage criteria; as opposed to ‘minimum’. 


Hopefully other non tech savvy folk will benefit from this thread. 


Many thanks as always for your always brilliant advice. 


Best wishes. 


«1

Comments

  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 December 2020 at 11:02AM
    I currently have a WD external USB hard drive attached to my LG TV and it records fine.
    My drive was previously connected to my PC using Windows 10. I guess you may need to reformat your drive.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Medz
    Medz Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Post
    missile said:
    I currently have a WD external USB hard drive attached to my LG TV and it records fine.
    My drive was previously connected to my PC using Windows 10. I guess you may need to reformat your drive.
    I inserted it. The tv recognises it. It registers it as only having very little storage space. I thought I might need to format it. 
    I clicked ‘input’ and that apparently is where the format option is; but all I see is the ‘eject’ option.  I thought perhaps you can’t format one with a Mac label. 
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    You can reformat any drive. Connect it to your PC to reformat. 

    You have filled a ITB drive?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Medz
    Medz Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Post
    missile said:
    You can reformat any drive. Connect it to your PC to reformat. 

    You have filled a ITB drive?
    No. It is unused straight out of the box. 
    I don’t have a PC; only a MacBook. 
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fuse on Mac should be able to do it (I don't have a Mac, so I can't comment, but I know it can't use NTFS out of the box):

  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Medz said:
    I clicked ‘input’ and that apparently is where the format option is; but all I see is the ‘eject’ option.  I thought perhaps you can’t format one with a Mac label. 
    If it's any consolation, I have an LG television with an NTFS-formatted USB drive connected and I'm only offered the "Eject" option when I select it from "Inputs"; there's no "Format" option despite what the following page claims:
    https://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT00008334-1435837452345
  • Medz
    Medz Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Post
    Chino said:
    Medz said:
    I clicked ‘input’ and that apparently is where the format option is; but all I see is the ‘eject’ option.  I thought perhaps you can’t format one with a Mac label. 
    If it's any consolation, I have an LG television with an NTFS-formatted USB drive connected and I'm only offered the "Eject" option when I select it from "Inputs"; there's no "Format" option despite what the following page claims:
    https://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT00008334-1435837452345
    The plot thickens. It’s almost as thick as me when it comes to technology! lol
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 December 2020 at 12:44PM
    I am sure you could reformat drive with your MacBook(?) I installed dual boot on my iMac so I could use either operating system. 
    USB drives are not expensive but I would suggest a PVR like BT Youview box would be a better option for you. Cheap as chips on eBay.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Gizmo247
    Gizmo247 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I bought one of these for each of my Samsung TVs a while back - they work great and occupy almost no space:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083ZS4HYD/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_bGo0Fb2QWCXA2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
  • Medz
    Medz Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Post
    Gizmo247 said:
    I bought one of these for each of my Samsung TVs a while back - they work great and occupy almost no space:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083ZS4HYD/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_bGo0Fb2QWCXA2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    I really like the size. Especially since I have a really narrow mantle under the tv. 

    I was concerned to read all the buyer feedback about it overheating though. Have you found that to be an issue? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards