Wrong plan on student loan repayment

Hello,
I wondered if anyone can give some advice on this. 
I started a degree in Medicine in 2008, and took a break between 2011 and 2015 to complete a PhD, returning in 2015 to resume the course I started in 2008. I was charged tuition fees of circa £3k in 2015 as it was a pre-£9k fees course, and completed this course in 2018. When I started repayment I had two plans for repayment: plan 1 for fees incurred pre-PhD, and plan 2 for fees post-PhD. Given that the student loan website says plan 1 is for courses started pre-2012, plan 2 2012 and thereafter, am I on the wrong repayment plan, and should my whole balance be plan 1? The interest is much higher on plan 2 and ideally would like this refunded from the balance if so. Has anyone else had similar issues? 

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,637
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Would the post PhD loan in 2015 not count as a new loan therefore  Plan 2.
  • It isn't clear: I resumed the same course that I started in 2008, but did reapply for finance. All I can find on the Gov website is that it is dependent on when the course started, not when student finance was applied for. 
  •  My daughter has just found out the employer she has just left made a mistake and was taking a student loan deduction from her pay for a plan 1 loan ,and it should have been a plan 2. 

any advice on what she should do ? should she tell student loan company?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,760
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
     My daughter has just found out the employer she has just left made a mistake and was taking a student loan deduction from her pay for a plan 1 loan ,and it should have been a plan 2. 

any advice on what she should do ? should she tell student loan company?
    Yes, tell the student loan company. If they agree that too high a deduction has been made they should agree to refund the excess.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback