We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Electric wall fire

I have recently bought a 1.9 kw wall heater. There isn’t a plug but it says to plug into mains. Do I HAVE to or can I put a normal 13 amp plug onto it, many thanks

Comments

  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I don't see why not. It's well below 13A. Most kettles are more powerful.
  • I have recently bought a 1.9 kw wall heater. There isn’t a plug but it says to plug into mains. Do I HAVE to or can I put a normal 13 amp plug onto it, many thanks
    As above you will be fine sticking a plug on it 

    What's the make and model of the heater?
  • Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 853 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    A rule of thumb is 4 amps per kw, ( not exact but near enough) so you have 2kw so 8 amps
    so a 13a plug should do, 
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,611 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    13A is 3kW.  So there's no problem plugging a 1.9kW heater into a wall socket.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 13,156 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Unusual for it not to be pre-wired and fitted  with a 13a fuse  - is it new ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill. Always read and understand your bill
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.